Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Seems it does it worse when it is colder. Starts making noise and jumping around or it pegs the speedo.

Will a shot of pb blaster or chain lube or something else help this?

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

I always heard that powdered graphite is what you are supposed to use on speedometer cables.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

I don't think it's the cable. Turn the gauge over and lube the bearings as best you can. PB Blaster followed by...

If you ride it like that, it wiil self destruct. It may anyway, no matter how much you lube it.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Probably got to look for a new one fella, I never had one that went past 70K miles when you add age into the equation, I'm now on my 4th, all I can say about the one I've got is, it's good for now with 52K on it. Get the lowest mileage one you can get and try to get it out of California or somewhere with dry humidityor off of a garage kept bike, both would be better.I think they arethe only reasons thatmine's good now, I bought all ofthe previous ones from down here in Texas and no luck man.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

sticky....use less hair spray an more grafite

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

My 82 started doing that ,It ends up being the inside of speedo head. I pushed a fingers worth of grease up were that speedo connects, that fixed it. I know grease is not the best but its what worked.I tried other lubes but did'nt last. The noise came back once when cold ..I reached behind where cable connects to speedo and pulled on it and it went away .been good since. Some times stupid things take stupid solutions

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I don't think it's the cable. Turn the gauge over and lube the bearings as best you can. PB Blaster followed by...

If you ride it like that, it wiil self destruct. It may anyway, no matter how much you lube it.
Dang, Dennis, when I first read your quote, I thought, "how did he know how fast I was riding her".. , cause I have been riding a little faster than I probably should. Then I re-read...lol
Thanks to all who responded, I will try some pb first since that is all I have here.
Happy T-Day All! Hoping to ride to Kansas today! yea!
Patrick

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I'm a BIG fan of PB Blaster for all kinds of stuff. Even for cables, but I've learned since living here in the kind of cold that this place gets that petroleum based lubegets thick in the stuff and my cables will bind, if even slightly. Both my tach and speedo will bounce because of the cold.

PB is fine for me above freezing, but that's not my life today. I use graphite now. It solves my bouncing problem. I use Lock-Ease.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks CM. Lock-Ease... This problem has only occurred when it is below 45 or so. Guess I''' wait till tomorrow when stores are open in Ks. and get some door ease.
Thanks again. I did use napa cable lube on cables already but was afraid to use in speedo. Thought it might call for graphite.. It is gonna be warm for most of today's ride, so hope it does not destroy itself before Fri.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

The guy who changed my front tire mangled my speedo cable so I had to replace it. I used an impact driver to get the screw loose, to remove the cable end. I gave the new cable an the drive gear a shot of cable lube. As well as a shot or to into the speedo head.Haven't had any noise from the head in over a year of all weather riding.,,

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Mine was having issues as well. It wasn't the cable though it was the speedo its self. I pulled it out and oiled it with some high speed bearing oil we have in my sign shop. I used a star bit spun it with a drill and the nasty junk that started coming out was incredible. Kept oiling it and running it with the drill until the excess was clean. Now I have almost 2000 more miles on it and haven't heard a peep out it.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well, mine did not make the trip. The speedo quit about 300 miles in, and it was way too cold up there to look at it. Rut Ro. :)

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about that. A few years back I bought my wife her first bike. It was a 550 Honda. The speedo wouldn't work, but the odometer did. I was at a swap meet and found a used one the guy let me have for $10. Put it on worked like a champ. The miles were about 10k more then the old one, but the bike was over 30 years old and frankly who cares unless it's being sold as original mileage. Just a suggestion.,,

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey Morriscatt, just noticed you have a running bike. Good job., looks great. How was your run to see the folks?

Happy Holidays

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hey Glenn, Thanks for noticing. I have been on cloud nine for several weeks since getting her on the road.
The trip to Kansas... she performed very well. 35MPG on first tank, at very fast speeds. Probably ave 80MPH.
It was way colder than I had hoped, but still shocked my folks and friends by riding up.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

I ran mine down to Los Angeles and back about 1000 miles. Avg. about 75 mph and got between 40 and 42 mpg with my old bucket. Glad things have picked up for you.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I could never get even 35 out of my 78 let alone 40-42.

ebanjo wrote
Glad things have picked up for you.
Thanks for that Glenn, I would not be riding now without the kindness of many from this site.
Patrick

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Around town it's more like 28 mpg. I was surprised. I guess it likes to go fast.

This is a great bunch of folks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.