Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The speedometer readout on my '85 LTD just quit working, and shows 0. Everything else on the panel works. I'm assuming it is either the speed sensor at the front wheel, or inside the sealed display unit. I took the sensor off, cleaned it, looked it over, and don't see anything wrong. The wire from the unit to the panel also looks good, though I have not tested it yet. If it is in the panel it's history, if it's the sensor, are they still available? If they are, they probably cost a fortune. Fortunately I have a GPS unit I can use for a speedometer/odometer.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

There is a gear on the front axle. It usually breaks over time as it has nylon gears in it. It is what turns the speedo cable. It can still be had from honda for about $50.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The online parts places show the gear itself as being discontinued, but show a "box assembly" that appears to include the gear and some other parts. The problem is, they show 2 different ones, with different part numbers. Does anyone know what the difference is? Maybe one is for the LTD and one is for the Aspencade? I have not yet removed the front wheel to check, so I don't know for sure if that is the problem. But if it is, which part do I need? Thanks, Jerry.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Hi I have a 1986 GW 1200 SEI that is doing the same thing. My speed on dash shows 0 for weeks at a time. Some one told me it may be a short in the wire or a fuse going bad.......

Do anyone know if there is a fuse foe the speed sencer?????

I looked and cant find one

Ps post if you find out what is going on with yours

Daniel Cash:waving:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I don't believe there is a separate fuse, the wire goes directly from the speed sensor at the front wheel to the display, which is a sealed unit. I still have not checked the gear, and at the moment I am using an eTrex GPS for a speedometer. It works quite well, and it's accurate. If it turns out to be the display, I will just continue using the GPS. I sure do like mechanical instruments with cables on them.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
The online parts places show the gear itself as being discontinued, but show a "box assembly" that appears to include the gear and some other parts. The problem is, they show 2 different ones, with different part numbers. Does anyone know what the difference is? Maybe one is for the LTD and one is for the Aspencade? I have not yet removed the front wheel to check, so I don't know for sure if that is the problem. But if it is, which part do I need? Thanks, Jerry.
I don't think it really matters. I think I ordered the cheaper one for my LTD a couple of years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.