Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today I noticed the needle on my speedometer shaking while going around 55 to 60 mph. The shake is very small but there is a shake to it. I have never noticed this before today and seem to be smooth if I run 70 mph.I am thinking the cable may need lubing or would it be best to go ahead and replace the cable? Or what else could it be?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
imported post

your gut is likely correct. i replaced my speedo cable and the needle stopped shaking ... my world is still rockin' on my wing!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Probably a speedo cable that has not been lubed and it might be rusted inside. Pull the lower connection at the front wheel(if you have rotor cover it has to come off), using needle nose pliers, pull inner cable out and inspect it. If rusted badly and or frayed you'll have to replace it. Sometimes you can clean them and lube it with a light weight oil and get some more miles out of it. Speedo cables, as with all cables, need to be lubed each year or you will end up with a stiff or worse, a broken cable leaving you stuck on the side of the road miles from NOWHERE!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

newday777 wrote:
a broken cable leaving you stuck on the side of the road miles from NOWHERE!
If it broke, wouldn't you still be able to ride but with no speedo?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I would bet that it's been a long time since the PO did any oiling to the cable.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I think I will still pull it just to see if the oiling will help until a new cable comes in. Thanks everyone for the fast help.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

red_bike wrote:
newday777 wrote:
a broken cable leaving you stuck on the side of the road miles from NOWHERE!
If it broke, wouldn't you still be able to ride but with no speedo?
:laughing::laughing: ...yes .... you'll still be able to ride it ....... some people just get carried away!

The reason it's jumping, is the cable is binding within the outer sheath. It will soon break, as the twitching of the needle is a tell tale sign. You will also notice that your cruise Control is/will become erratic. You will loose you cruise control, self cancelling signal function and you Automatic Volume Control function on your radio, along with your speedometer, of course, when your cable breaks.

Replace it at your 1st convenience. Oiling/lubing it is only a 'delay tactic' at this point of wear.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Dusty, I did notice last Sunday that I could not set my cruise control above about 70 mph. I know it has set at 75 before but would not do it last week. I was on a PGR mission with several others so I never tried to set the cruise. I know there is an 80 mph limit or there about.
I am the type of guy that will go ahead and order a new one knowing it may go out soon.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Duck ...... next time you have the front wheel off, make sure the speedo gear on the front axle has fresh grease in it. If not, clean out the old, hard packed stuff andpack it with some fresh wheel bearing grease. That helps to prevent that speedo gear from stripping out, but a badly binding speedo cable can also take it out, as it's just plastic!

Dusty

Reactions: RTaylor

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

OK
I was speaking of the other cables as MANY FOLKS NEVER LUBE their cables. jus saying

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

There is always the old used car lot fix. Just loosen the cable collar/nut a little and the needle shake will go away.

Pull the core out of the cable first. Clean it up and lube it with graphite or some very lite grease. Sure beats buying a new cable for nothing (well actually a lot of $$).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.