Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the speedo on my bike started making a funny noise followed by the needle jumping all around, now i have nothing . i guess a gear stripped inside it or something . is there a way to work on these ? i really hate driving by my tach !!!:sadguy:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The first things I would check are the cable and the drive box. The cable is wound so if its dry it acts like a spring stopping and starting at the top end, that will make quite a noise and finally break or strip the drive gear in the box on the wheel.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

my old cable broke and i replaced with a new one . worked good for about a week then started acting fool and quit

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you replace the outer cable sheath or just the inner? Did you check the gearbox on the wheel? If that's still good you'll need another speedometer. I don't know of a rebuild thread.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you tried a drop or two of 2in1 oil in the head yet?
worked for me .

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i replaced the inner and outer cable . it was making a winning noise at the speedo and the needle was jumping right before it stopped working is why i am thinking its a bad speedo

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Get a replacement from an '83 Standard or Interstate - they're 150mph.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ok riding around town today and my speedo started showing 10 mph then went up to 20 mph , wont move over that but does speed up and slow down with throttle and brake ? any clues ?

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

countryboy843 wrote:
the speedo on my bike started making a funny noise followed by the needle jumping all around, now i have nothing . i guess a gear stripped inside it or something . is there a way to work on these ? i really hate driving by my tach !!!:sadguy:
Yep and that funny noise is louder than the motor ain't it and it goes away as you get downbelow about 15 mph, been down that road dude, it ain't the cable or the drive, it's the speedo itself and the way I finally fixed it after 3 attempts at changing out speedos, (so as you can see I also thought it must be cable or drive as well, did all that, didn't fix it),was to get a very lightly used instrument cluster from ebay and it was not cheap but it's actualy easier to change out a cluster than just the speedo, if you need any help in doing it PM me, I drove around with the speedo disconnected for about 2 years before I figured it out, sorry. :needahug:

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

yah its deffinatly the speedo , noticed today that the odometer is still working just no speed

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My speedometer also quit, but it's all electronic, so I just use a cheap handlebar mounted GPS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.