Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My speedo wasnt working,i checked my sending unit and It is operating correctly. the only other thing i can thknk of is the drive on the wheel itsefl.

I wasnt able to get on the floor today. the snow was melting and the dirts turned to mushy mud.\So i could not see what was wrong . What to do if the gear is toast.?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Have you disconnected the speedometer cable behind the speedometer and give the front tiew a good spin and see if the cable is spinning any? It would be very slow also.Thats the way I checked my 80. I do not know much about an 82. Is yours digital? I couldn't help there. If it isn't it may be a broken cable. Hope this helps.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah no broken cable here. I used an electric drill to turn the sunding unit and the guage came alive.

I think it has to do with the drive unit on the wheel itself

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

With the sending unit off, and a volt meter conected to the 2 pin plug behind the headlamp on the black/brown and black/yellow wires with a screwdriver, the sensor is normal if the voltmeter needle swings from 0 to 5 eight times when the sensor is turned one full turn slowly.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 1200, the speedometer didn't work. The plastic gear on the front wheel was worn out.

John

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

From http://www.hdlparts.com

they have 2 part numbers for the speedo gearbox (part #10 on the schematic for the Front Wheel) so I don't know which one it is, but it is only about $55 for a new one. And yes they still make them. Mine went out while on a ride and it was just the nylon worm gear that broke. The worm gear is part #11 but I don't think they sell it by itself anymore.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.