Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(Well after much wire tracing and checking i decided to change out the coil pack on my 83 aspy cos it wouldnt run. I got some coils off ebay 2nd hand. They were advertised gl 1100 but did not have the ballast resister on them. I put them on anyway and behold the bike ran smoothly. I still have things to do to the bike but at least she is running I thought. So most times when working on the bike you starts them up and smile and dream of things to come, when i noticed it was starting to miss a couple of times and the when it had been running for maybe 30 minsit started missing more and more then cut out. Now it wont restart and i dont have sparks. It makes the most feeble attempt when totally cold, as in it will almost catch on 1 cylinder then dies down to a total turn but not fire cenario. Do you recon the coils were incompatible and fried or what. Anyone got any thoughts?:(:(

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There are 2 different coil packs on the GL1100. One for the '80-'81 and the other for the '82-'83.

The earlier one has a number stamped in the coil that starts with AW82, the later ones start with BW82.

Did you get the right ones?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Maybe someone else here has tried the other coils, so I'll let them chime in. I do believe the '82 to '83 coils are the same as the GL1200 coils as well.

But yeah, it pays to do plenty of research before buying. I pretty much will not buy anything at the electronics store without doing some online research, tests, comparisons, etc.

I go bit hard when I bought my ex a Hyundai Elantra without checking first. It got horrible reviews, and I sunk a ton of money in that car. I was glad when the city of Austin put a tag on it and towed it off.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The coils of the early and late bikes are wired in differently also.. the laterbikes (for example '83)the internal ballast resistor in the spark boxes is bypassed andan external ballast resistor is used instead; this needs to be in the circuit. If earlier coils were put into the circuit without the proper resistor, I'd guess that they might over heat and eventually destroy themselves (but I'd think that you'd blow a fuse first assuming you have the correct values installed...) Like others have indicated.. not all GL1100's are equal..

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the thoughts I will go ahead and get some propper ones for the year/model.:(:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.