Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been chasing this problem since I bought the bike three years ago. 1994 GL 1500 only 15,000 miles.
Rebuilt brake master cylinder, braided front brake line, no changes from performing/adding either. Lots of travel on the hand lever before reaching decent braking power. starting to think that this is normal for these 1500s but I have not squeezed any other 1500 levers for comparison ?
What say thee ?
Thanks 馃檪

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Once it is right, the brake starts to engage at about 1 inch of travel, or less.
My '94 was like yours, had stainless lines installed on it, and wow!
was that ever worth the price.... Fantastic braking action.
The foot brake pedal actually became usable.

Administrator
Have you tried bleeding it at the banjo bolt on the MC? Hold pressure on the lever and break the bolt loose then tighten it before releasing the lever. Be careful to not get any brake fluid on the plastic.

Registered
Thanks for the reply but I bled it a zillion times.馃檪
You may have bled it a zillion times, but you still have air in there somewhere. Spongy brakes are not normal!! I like Dave0430 suggestion.

Rayjoe

Reactions: Sniper60

Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
And stop exaggerating! I'll bet you didn't bleed them much more than a billion times. . :devilish:

Are you bleeding them with a Mity-Vac? A friend and I tried and tried to bleed his '84 brakes with his HF bleeder. One time with my Mity-vac and all was well.

Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
Surprised nobody mentioned tying the brake handle down to the handgrip with a bungy cord and leaving it overnight.... This fix often works....

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Surprised nobody mentioned tying the brake handle down to the handgrip with a bungy cord and leaving it overnight.... This fix often works....
Only if it will build up pressure in the first place.

Mine would not, the lever went all the way to the hand grip, and did not build up any pressure, in Fact, DaveO430 is going to fix that problem in about 10 days, as I head down to Dawsonville, GA to give the bike to my son.

I have all brand new parts, not going to mess with any of the old stuff, as it has been bled down twice, and is not holding up.

Registered
I assume you have Speed Bleeders installed, makes bleeding the hydraulics a breeze and done by one person. Just open one at a time about 1/4 turn and go to work, I slip a tight fitting hose on the bleeder and make it even tighter with a zip tie, other end in a small bath of brake fluid. Then just open the master cylinder and start pumping standing next to it so you can watch the fluid level. I also like the idea of bleeding at the m/c, then go to bleeding at the calipers.

Registered
I assume you have Speed Bleeders installed, makes bleeding the hydraulics a breeze and done by one person. Just open one at a time about 1/4 turn and go to work, I slip a tight fitting hose on the bleeder and make it even tighter with a zip tie, other end in a small bath of brake fluid. Then just open the master cylinder and start pumping standing next to it so you can watch the fluid level. I also like the idea of bleeding at the m/c, then go to bleeding at the calipers.
Has anyone found the " line splitter" below the headlight to be the culprit? I've had to add more copper washers to get pressure.

Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
Gl1500 is referenced here. No splitter. Hand brake actuates one front disc only.

Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
All good suggestions, which it seems you've already tried. Hmmm. Whenever I try "proper procedures" without good results, I reverse them. In this case, the assumption is that the vacuum break is somwhere after the master cylinder. What if it IS the master cylinder that has the sealing leak resulting in the vacuum leak? I'd rebuild the front brake master cylinder, specifically the o-rings on the piston. But that's just me......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts