Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, so as I was riding home from work this evening, I goosed the throttle while in 4th, and the bike spontaneously dropped into 3rd.

Anyone have something similar happen to them?

I'm always careful about pulling up really hard to make sure the gear change is complete.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. It may not have been fully into 4th. Can't recall what model Wing you own, but I've seen this happen a lot on the early 1500s (not the 93-94 ones with the known 4th gear problem). It should only be a concern if it happens on regular basis. :)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've had it happen once that I recall. Had it pop out of gear and into a nuetral between gear more often. Mostly right after I got my bike.

Jason, look at the first line under "My Toys" in the first post. Could be a hint...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

this is a new one for me, never had my 1200 change gears. There are, however, two of us who have had them stick in third gear, only to "unstick" when the bike cools down. (and mine was not running hot, but we were in stop and go traffic

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I've had my 83 1100 slip from 2nd into neutral before, likely due to the fact I didn't pull up enough. Oddly, on my ride home yesterday I couldn't get her INTO neutral. It cleared up about two miles later at another light. It was just a gremlin I think. :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

On occasion my 1200I does the same, just decides it doesn't like the gear I've selected and drops 4th to 3rd, I think it might be due to the speed I change gears, if I'm slow and deliberate no problem, but accelerating hard and riding like a maniac and down goes the gear, not always immediately afterchanging gear could be 10 mins later.

I think It's just the clunky selection not going home fully, just take your time and everything 'll befine.

(doesn't effect any other gear, only 4-3)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I've had shifting problems with my '83I once in a while. For me I think it's a lack of fully pulling or pushing the shifter into gear. I'm using Rotella T and although it made my shifting feel smoother about 2500 years ago(miles){darn spell chequer}my shifting is seeming to be a little more sticky lately. I'm going to change oil this weekend and see what happens.

Hobie

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

My GL1500 did this once. It jumped from 3rd to 2nd. Frightened the life outa me but never happened since. I think I didn't prod the gear lever hard enough when changing up.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Downshifting happened to me only once in allmy years of biking. Scared the s__t out of me that night.. If you think about it, the shift linkage is mechanical and requires input to change. I was wearing my Air Force brogans when it happened and couldn't figure out how until I had a chat with my crew chief. He said when I accelerated forward, my body leaned forward (normally) and the tip of the boot was forced downward on top of the shift lever which in turn pushed down on the lever enough to downshift the tranny. I never felt the boot touch the lever and never wore those boots again while riding. The bike never downshifted again without my thoughtful input.. Here I amalmost 40years later and it's never happened to me again.. I've ridden many different bikes since then too. Just something for you to think about next time you ride...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My 93 Aspy kicked down a gear once soon after I got it but I'm pretty sure it was a matter of my not quite getting the shift all the way in. When the thing kicks out it comes out fast and probably the momentum of the shift linkage, forks and such just keep it going and it snaps into the lower gear. I had light shoes on at the time and am sure I didn't touch it.

The gear lever is one superior thing I find of the 1500 over the 1200, there's more toe room to use the lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.