Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Twice in the past 6 weeks I have seen a small (tablespoon) amount of fluid on the ground. The first time during warm up; the second time last while the bike was cool. Both times the coolant was dripping from the left timing belt cover (bike was on side stand). In both instances the bike ran fine without leaking fluid over the next several days. I put an new radiator cap on last spring, a Stant of correct model number, and tested the thermostat (worked fine).

With the fairing in the way I was unable to see where the fluid came from (not from the weep hole or the crossover pipes though). I'm guessing air bubble? Anyway I'm thinking of pulling the radiator and taking it in to a shop to have it checked out as I plan on a couple of long trips this summer. Or, can I try flushing the system (and someone please tell me if that is anything different than draining the fluid, filling with distilled water, getting up to temp, then draining and put in correct fluid (I use Honda).

Thanks for any input.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hoses are new last Spring, but I think they would leek consistently, and not the sporadic leek? But thanks for the heads up; I'll recheck the clamps.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

check your overflow hose where it is connected to the radiator. they like to leak there and dribble across when the hose gets old and cracked.. jb

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
Hoses are new last Spring, but I think they would leek consistently, and not the sporadic leek? But thanks for the heads up; I'll recheck the clamps.

Chuck
I had a similar leak on my 1800,left side also.mostly leaked till it got hot.opened up the fairing and the hose clamp to radiator needed tightened,problem solved

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Could very well be the cross-over o-rings and stuff contracting in the cold. Put the bike on the center stand for a few days and see if the coolant accumulates on the top of the engine. I've had this happen since I bought the bike about 5 years ago and it never gets worse. I've got 63000 on my bike.

BTW, I've never changed the o-rings, just topped off the coolant at the beginning of the riding season.

Hobie.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks guys, it hasn't leaked for the last four days. I'm going to take the lower fairing off sometime, I hope in the next week--so I'll give it a look over.

In the first post I described what I think is the correct way to "flush" the radiator, but I'm not sure. If someone could comment on that I would appreciate it.

Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.