Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it hilarious yesterday watching all the sport bike riders zooming up nd down Palomar mountain, some going pretty fast. Then the funny part happened... while they were thinking they were going pretty quick and of course over the speed limit, they get caught from behind by a Highway Patrol officer on his cop bike. Those officers can fly around those twisties much to the surprise of the sport bike riders who had to sign on the dotted line.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Glad they got caught, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Most police in AZ are not allowed to engage in high speed pursuits. To many innocent people were getting killed in accidents caused by them. Sport bike riders have become the new outlaws, replacing Harley riders. Hoards of them ride together, going way over the speed limits, doing wheelies and stoppies, unsafe passing, and a lot of other things. It is rare for them to get caught, as the cops are not allowed to chase them over certain speeds, and they routinely ride at speeds well over 100 mph, some over 150 mph. Many have crashed and killed themselves. The bad side of that is, if you ride a sport bike, and ride responsibly, you are still going to be a target for the cops. They have gotten very frustrated about not being able to get these guys, and have learned to hate all sportbike riders. They look for any excuse to pull them over and write them up.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Although I think we all at one time have pushed it a bit I think these kids today have it easy. They do the MSF classes and run right out and buy the biggest fastest bikes they can and hit the streets.

I ride with a group of Sport bike riders with the G/W. I can hold my own pretty well on it, but I keep it to a brisk pace. Most of the time I'm bring up the rear. I do this so I can pick up the good used parts I find on the road after one of the guys throws his bike off a cliff. I then put the parts on ebay. ;)
I agree thought, Sport bike "riders" give all of us a bad name.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I ride Palomar frequently, and always see the few that give us a bad name,

Not all sportbike riders are irresponsible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The funny part to me was that these bad ass sport bike riders were being caught from behind by a much larger and heavier bike.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
The funny part to me was that these bad ass sport bike riders were being caught from behind by a much larger and heavier bike.
Being operated by a highly trained law-enforcement officer.

How many of those kids would benefit from a REAL trackday. (Not behaving like an azz on a public road.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know a bunch of sport bike riders and the police come by on a regular basis to talk to them. They will be out speeding passing in no pass zones with traffic coming in the other direction. By the time the police arrive they are well gone. They know who they are they just have to catch them in the act. The bad part is some innocent person is going to get hurt. When they pull out of line and are coming at you your reaction is to swerve right, low shoulder at 55 and you lose control and you everything that can go wrong from there.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I ride Palomar frequently, and always see the few that give us a bad name,

Not all sportbike riders are irresponsible.
True, not all sport bike riders are irresponsible, but enough of them are that they give them all a bad reputation, and make them cop magnets. I no longer ride a sport bike, can't deal with the riding position anymore. It was always painful, now it is impossible.

Honda has come out with a new bike to be sold in the U.S., called the Grom. It is basically a 125cc hooligan bike. The ad video for it shows some VERY irresponsible riding. It sells for only $2999. I can just see teenagers out terrorizing the streets on these things. These have been sold in other countries for a while, and there are already tons of performance parts available for them. They are about the size of a 60cc or 80cc mini motocrosser, and street legal. I remember all the problems and accidents from the goped craze. I see this as probably being much worse.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
This is Honda's official U.S. promotional video for the Grom. Really responsible isn't it? Can you imagine what kids are going to be doing with this thing?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...The bad side of that is, if you ride a sport bike, and ride responsibly, you are still going to be a target for the cops. They have gotten very frustrated about not being able to get these guys, and have learned to hate all sportbike riders. They look for any excuse to pull them over and write them up.
+10... Precisely why I gave up riding sport bikes, after 20 some years of commuting on them... I got tired of being pulled over about every 2 weeks on average, for no reason other than harassment.

Now-a-days, on the wing, I have yet to be pulled over even once in the past 7yrs/200k miles of riding it... the local CHP motorcyclist even waves to me every morning as he passes, go figure!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my way to work one day 2 weeks ago I was in the car pool lane doing about 80 mph making the transition from one freeway to another when a CHP appeared behind me. I kind of got a little concerned but as WE BOTH continued on at 80mph, I started to make my way over to get off the freeway and the CHP gave me a peace sign as he passed. He never seemed concerned with me doing 80mph and he just went on his way.
Gotta love the Wing!!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
+10... Precisely why I gave up riding sport bikes, after 20 some years of comuting on them... I got tired of being pulled over about every 2 weeks on average, for no reason other than harassment.

Now-a-days, on the wing, I have yet to be pulled over even once in the past 7yrs/200k miles of riding it... the local CHP motorcyclist even waves to me every morning as he passes, go figure!!!
I guess it might be that way in highly populated areas. I can certainly see it in California, although that hasn't been my experience. Come to think of it, I've only ever been pulled over once on a motorcycle. And, that wasn't a sportbike. That being said, I have had cops follow me around on occasion until they got bored. (Indianapolis, the State Police in particular)

When I was in L.A. I was passed by several CHP motorcycles that were lane splitting at over 70 mph. They just waved as they went by.

The funny thing about the one time I was pulled over on a bike is it happened in Mahomet (a small town near Champaign), and they pulled me over to do a sobriety check. Considering the fact that I've always been pretty much a non-drinker that was very funny to me. I laughed about it, and the cop took it the wrong way... But, I wasn't doing anything wrong, so he had to let me go.

·
Premium Member
68,369 Posts
I'm always watching the mirrors but those darn CHP can get behind you out of no where and then ride along with you.. I think it's a game they play.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.