Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GL1500 with a sidecar. I've never ridden the bike without the sidecar attached.

I want to get a sport/touring bike (FJR, BMW K1200, etc) and have been looking around.

I was just wondering how the GL1500 handles by itself. Can you carve the twisties with it? I am used to riding Harley's (FLTRI Road Glide) so I'm used to big, heavy bikes. I'm sure the Wing would feel heavy to a sport bike rider but I don't have that reference.

I guess I could just pull the sidecar and try it out, huh? :shock::action:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

My opinion, you can definitely carve the twistys with a 1500. The only thing that limits the carving ability is the ground clearance, which is not much of an issue unless your trying to run the pace of a sport bike, which is generally ridiculous on the public streets anyway. With stock pegs and no cruise pegs, the first metal to touch down is the scrape nub on the bottom of the drivers pegs, and you're at a decent angle when that happens. If you have cruise pegs, depending on their mounting position, they might be the first point of contact with the pavement. FYI, I think they handle the best with the max pressure in the forks and shocks, and same with the 1200 for that matter. JMHO, your mileage may vary. :action:

John

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I have a VTX, similar to the Road Glide. Recently bought a GL1500. Yeah, IMHO, it is a lot more nimble than the V-Twin cruiser. Put decent tires on it and have a ball. I understand the GL1800 is more nimble yet, and I rented an 1800 for a day and can agree to that. However, the difference between cruiser and GL1500 is far greater than the difference between 1500 and 1800. The 1800 is legendary in being able to handle the twisties and track conditions. SO, take the sidecar off and judge for yourself!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
imported post

I love taking my 1500 through the mountains of NC and TN. If you don't mind scraping your floorboards a little, you can really blast through the twisties.

As John said, pump up the suspension before you go, though. You get more ground clearence and a stiffer/sportier ride.:action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,723 Posts
imported post

The 1500 with a set of Michie Pilot GTs will carve a groove in the twistys.

i can vouch for that.

I have followed Kawa Ninjas thru the twisties up near Sedona and they did NOT run away from me.

I just kept it clocking 4500-6000 RPM and ran in 3rd gear Hot on their tails.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

They do run good, for what they are. If you don't have enough air in the shock, the centerstand hits in deep corners, and can make you crap a little.

I'm guessing Johns Ninjas were 250s, with large riders, tho. :)

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

If you ever ride two up you'll really appreciate how the 1500 will ride in the twisties. She'll get it all day long :action:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I too have a VTX (1300 Retro).....I'm with the others here. My 1500 takes the twisties & switchbacks very well.

Actually I scrape more metal on the VTX than on the 1500.

Take off the side car and enjoy the feeling....I can 'almost' guarantee, you won't put that side car back on....unless you have a rider that insists. :D

One more thing....."IF" you take the sidecar off 'REMEMBER'.....You have to put your foot down when you stop. :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :dude:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I'll chime in with my $0.02. I really don't "get" why anyone would, on a regular basis, want to/try to run in the twisties with a Gold Wing. No matter what size it is. However, if one really wants to do that, to each his own I guess.

The ability to do so is WAY more dependent on the skill of the rider than the ability of the bike itself. WAY !!! I owned a 1500 GW for 9 years and consider myself an average rider. I am really not THAT skilled in the twisties regardless of the bike. I have owned cruisers, soprt bikes and touring bikes. How well someone rides through the twisties is the true measure of how "good" a rider is. I'm not talking safety, etc. I'm talking "skill".

I have ridden with a fewthat I consider MUCH better riders than I.They could ride Gold Wings through the twisties almost as if they were on a sport bike. Almost.

So..........you CAN ride a GW very fast through the twisties. The bike is capable of doing it. BUT, doing so is WAY more dependent on the ability of the rider, not the bike itself. Of course.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I'm a peg-to-peg rider on my 1500. I was on my 1200 too.

The Goldwings have the heart of a sporty bike and each bike seems to be a little better than the one before it.

The bikes will lean to approx a 45 degree angle which is plenty to give you a thrilling ride.

The main difference is that due to the size and weight differences you won't be going as fast when you reach that 45 degree angle as a sport bike would. So you won't be able to keep up with the sport bikes, but depending on what your goals are you should have plenty of excitement. I've worn the nubs off the foot pegs on my 1200.

I'm taking it easy lately on my 1500, so the nubs are only partally worn on this bike.

I do have a set of highway pegs, and they hit the ground a little bitbefore the foot pegs, and those are well worn.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
I'm guessing Johns Ninjas were 250s, with large riders, tho. :)
Or less experienced riders on any sport bike. ;) Yellow wolf will concur I'm sure. He can carve the twisties on a GoldWing with the best of them, but he'll tell you it's no match for a good rider on a sport bike, thushis best time onthe GoldWing is not close to the record speed for a bikeon the Dragon. :action:

John

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I agree. Its plenty of bike for me. But my son runs a liter-class Ninja on the track at Oh-my-god speeds. So I would never try to keep up with him, on a wing or anything else. But compared to cruisers, the wing is a great all-around bike. And the wonderful engine really helps--tons of power and a wide power band.
If your good enough and serious enough that the wing is not enough sport bike for you, you probably already own kevlar gloves, leathers, and a bike set up just for the track.....

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I ride pretty aggressively on the Ortega here. Yellow Wolf would still kick my a** but I'm no slouch.

The 1500s are the "least sporty" if contrasting the 1200/1500/1800 in my humble opinion. That said, they're not bad.

Just tell me you DON'T have floorboards. I've ridden 1500s with floorboards and can't take it. The "touchdown" point increases to the point that I can't ride the bike the way I want to.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I give my 1500 a work out in the bends. Mine has Progressive fork springs and 416s in the back which improve the handling a good bit over stock. I don't believe there's a Harley that can stay with a 1500 in straight line or curve performance. A V-Rod might have more straight away speed but I don't know if it could stay with a 1500 in the curves and am sure it couldn't stay with an 1800. I wouldn't put a 'Wing up against any sport bike because that isn't what a 'Wing is designed to do. I wouldn't want to do an 600 mile day on a sport bike either. It is more of a challenge to handle a big, heavy machine in the turns but you'd be surprised what it can do. I of course don't do things like that anyway because being an old man I ride like one.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I of course don't do things like that anyway because being an old man I ride like one.
Bull pucky!! :D If you have not had the opportunity to ride with exavid, he'll stay with the best of you. He's a peg scraper. :action:

John

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

BlueWinger wrote:
I too have a VTX (1300 Retro).....I'm with the others here. My 1500 takes the twisties & switchbacks very well.

Actually I scrape more metal on the VTX than on the 1500.

Take off the side car and enjoy the feeling....I can 'almost' guarantee, you won't put that side car back on....unless you have a rider that insists. :D

One more thing....."IF" you take the sidecar off 'REMEMBER'.....You have to put your foot down when you stop. :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :dude:

Well that seems to be the case 'cause the rig really belongs to the dog, I'm just the driver!

I'm thinking I'm going to leave the car attached. I don't want to start going back and forth and forget which mode I'm in!

Looking at a FJR for a sport/tour bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Kooool !!!........:cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
exavid wrote:
I of course don't do things like that anyway because being an old man I ride like one.
Bull pucky!! :D If you have not had the opportunity to ride with exavid, he'll stay with the best of you. He's a peg scraper. :action:

John
Just make sure you mute the CB!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.