Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Noticed today that my brakes (both front & back) - (back the worst) started squeaking when applying the brakes. I've read in posts here that a cause could be dust. If it is dust, can I remedy it somehow? Or would the pads show wear, but if so, why both all of a sudden. Just wondering as to what I should be checking for? As always... This is a great site. Glad I'm here!!!!! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

had this happen on my cx500, so I ordered new shoes... when I took them apart they were good, so I scuffed the shoes and drum it some sand paper and it stopped. You may have just glazed them a bit, but if they are more than half way worn, better yet just change the pads

rodger

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I was curious about this too. I have an 1100 with less then 6000 original miles on it.I bought thebike with original tires and 3200 miles on it.The pads and roters all look brandnew but it squals when you step on the brakes. Stops fine but my wife hates it.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

It might be caused by minor vibrations from the brake pads, you can get some silicone from any auto dealer that is applied between the piston and the pad and will quiet it in most cases.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Mine does it every couple months, I just buff the rotors with a "green scotch pad" and that usually stops it and sometimes after I scotch pad them I hit them lightly with brake cleaner ! Works for me every time !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Good fix RallyGator, over the years I have used brake quiet from Permatex to do the same thing. I think most mechanics now prefer the silicone grease. Either way it stops the pad from vibrating when the brakes are applied. That is what is usually heard in the last few seconds of each stop.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Dust is the main cause of brakes squealing/squeaking. Pull the pads and blow out the calipers with an air line, the put some copper grease on the backs of the pads and on all the areas where the pads contact the caliper and pins. This does work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.