Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Please don't shoot me for asking about my ST1300 on here, but you all seem so helpful.
I have an ST1300 that has had a number of minor leaks in the cooling system, they have been fixed but...... the system smells hot, it does not actually show hot on the guage, nor does it seem to be losing liquid. the smell has appeared since last visit to garage when a joint was replaced. someone has advised me that is the system on the 1300 in worked on it need bleeding afterward, this perhaps has not been done and I have lost faith in the garage who did the work.

questions:
1. Is this true about bleeding it?
2. Is it something a layman can do?

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i no nothing about the st1300, try burping the system, its just like doing your car, take off the radiater cap, make sure its topped up with coolant, run the motor and just let it idle away and watch for it burping, you should see the air bubbles come up, and put the cap back on, top up your expansion tank, and give it a run and take it from there,wherever you took it should have done that for you, the other possibilities are, radiater cap, thermastat, water pump, is your fan switching on when up to temp, type "burping " in the search box.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Yes I agree you need to run the bike and blip the throttle and let air out via filler the top up . :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Filler Cap???????????

only joking, thanks guys will try and report back, as you can tell i am not a mechanically minded rider:D

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

******* wrote:
i no nothing about the st1300, try burping the system, its just like doing your car, take off the radiater cap, make sure its topped up with coolant, run the motor and just let it idle away and watch for it burping, you should see the air bubbles come up, and put the cap back on, top up your expansion tank, and give it a run and take it from there,wherever you took it should have done that for you, the other possibilities are, radiater cap, thermastat, water pump, is your fan switching on when up to temp, type "burping " in the search box.
Fan kicks in fine and runs at normal temp etc. guess the burping thing is the first step, glad you explained how to do it, was wondering how to get it over my shoulder and rub it`s back:dude:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Do not know much about this burping business. Never heard of bleeding a radiator.
I just fill the radiator up, go for a short ride and come back and top it off, go for another short ride and check it a couple times over the next day or so and call it good. The pump pumps the coolant, circulates it, air automatically goes to the top...........

My son has an ST1300 and it has given a few problems with the cooling system, but for the smell of coolant that persists but does not leak.............yea had that one too.

I used a rubber friendly grease (plumbers valve grease) around all the nipple and hose connections, threw the spring clamp, clamps away and used good screw down radiator clamps on all the hoses. No more smell.

Do not over tighten them though, just to where you see the rubber start to push up in the little slots in the clamps, good and secure, but not overly tight.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Might want to check on one of the ST pages. I had an 1100 for a brief period, they were helpful with a few things.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Try this site out. They are a great bunch of guys and I've ridden with a few of them. They'll help you out.

http://www.st-owners.com

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Anyone know any other good ST/ Pan European sites, my mate Razz might visit to find further help and advice on his bike? Perhaps CJ or one of the others I know have ST1300's might be able to help?

Anyone know of downloadable Service manuals like the ones for Wings on here?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.