Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello friends, my problem is i will be travelling along and the bike just stops running the tach drops to zero, sometimes you can pop restart it some times you coast a little and pop it sometimes you have to hit the starter. I have not been able to figure out if it happens during acceleration or just motoring along no rhyme or reason yet. It is scary when you are passing somone on the turnpike at 70 but then again on the backroads at 40, once all i did was pull in the clutch and the tach and engine came back. This has been happening quite a bit this summer and has me puzzled. thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

If it quiets suddenly without losing power it is likely an ignition problem. I would start by checking the coil wiring and the coil mounting bolts. Look for grounding issues.I that doesn't work test the coils. It would also be worth while to check out the kill switch and the ignition switch.If your bike has a kickstand switch check that also.

Steve

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it could be the ignition switch or possibly the main fuse. Those fusible links can go bad and still look fine. Try removing it and see if it's cracked. I've had one that went intermittent, the bike would just shut down for a few minutes and then go again. One check is to see if the lights and radio go dead along with the engine. It could be a pulser coil going bad, they tend to open up when hot as they fail. That shuts off the engine and then lets it be restarted after 15 or 20 minutes cooling. Your problem doesn't sound quite like that. Best bet would be to see if all your electrical power fails when the bike shuts down. If so look at the fusible link (Master fuse by the battery) and the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Since it's an Aspencade, it has a digital dash. If the tach drops to zero, you're not losing all power. Just ignition.

It's unlikely the PG's are causing it. Generally (as exavid stated) when they fail, they fail. And unlikely both coils are crapping out at the same time.

The B/W white that provides power to the coils as well as the Control Module runs through the kill switch. I think that's where I'd concentrate my efforts.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks gentlemen (used loosely) sounds like i will have to take things apart and clean and tighten. will I need more tools then a crowbar. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

FredinCT wrote:
Thanks gentlemen (used loosely) sounds like i will have to take things apart and clean and tighten. will I need more tools then a crowbar. thanks again.
Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and don't supposed to use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and supposed to use the WD40. :ROFL:

Actually, sounds like you could use some contact cleaner for this issue.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I had a very similar problem on my 1100. Found some corrosion on a couple of terminals of a big white block connector under the false tank and corrosion on the main earth. Cleaned them up and its sorted mine out
Good luck with yours

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

If it's the main fuse, or problems with the connectors on top of the starter relay, you will lose radio settings and the whole bike will go dark.

If it's the ignition, thebike will go dark but memory circuits will hold.

If just the ignition is cutting out, it seems like it would be a connector that involves the pulse gens or the kill switch.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

hey i do have wd-40 and duct tape, and my wife has contact cleaner for her contacts will that work.:ROFL: And the electrics don't go out, the digital dash stays lit, and you can see the tach on zero. so will try to clean the kill switch and follow wires. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

FredinCT wrote:
hey i do have wd-40 and duct tape, and my wife has contact cleaner for her contacts will that work.:ROFL: And the electrics don't go out, the digital dash stays lit, and you can see the tach on zero. so will try to clean the kill switch and follow wires. Thanks
Yes, and use her tooth brush for the cleaning, you don't want to ruin your own :ROFL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.