Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is my 94 wing supposed to be able to start in gear or not?

I think I remember seeing somewhere in the owners manual,that it IS with the clutch pulled in and the kickstand up.

But mine won't...........

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Then you will probably need to clean or replace your clutch lever switches.

You could also have a worn clutch lever bushing.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

yes, you should be able to start with the clutch in and the KS up. I don't know if it would with the stand down, I don't remember. ( its been awhile since I had my 1500).

Daveo

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

1500 wont allow a start unless it's in neutral with the side stand down. Side stand up it should start regardless of gear of neutral is the clutch lever is pulled in. If the clutch isn't pulled in, it will only start in neutral. This is if everything is in working order and someone hasnt modified anything.

You can do some quick troubleshooting. Put it in N, KS up, see if it'll start, if it does, put the KS down, try again, all without touching the clutch lever. This should all start. Then do the same two tests again with it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Post your findings. Hope this helps...

Bill

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Do you still have stock handlebar grips? I had aftermarket grips on a 91-1500 that would not start in gear, they wouldn't allow the lever to be pulled in far enough to activate the switch. David

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I do have aftermarket grips,I tried to pull the lever back as far as It will go,but no luck.
I can hear the little tripping noise from the switches,but It will only start in neutral.
The headlight shuts off as I hit the starter button as is supposed to but nothing......

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Got exactly the same problem with mine,bushing worn in clutch lever.
Bear in mind there are 2 micro-switches behind the clutch lever.
The click that you can hear could be the cruise disengage micro-switch.
Take a very close look at the lever where it contacts the micro-switch and operate the lever,you will probably find that it doesn't quite push the switch far enough in to click it,if I waggle the clutch lever slightly on mine while the lever is depressed ,it will click the switch.
Solution:new clutch lever (waiting for mine to be delivered)

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hey thanks to all,I did take a closer look Steve and found I was only hearing one click.As soon as I pulled the clutch,first click.
Then I loosened the screw on the other switch and adjusted it inward towards the lever and now I get 2 clicks,one as soon as I start pulling the lever in and the second one when it gets pulled all the way in.
Anyhow it starts in gear now,just not every try,so maybe I need a new lever also.
Thanks again Guys

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

kewl, sounds like you're on the right track...

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

dern double post...

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Even a little pad of 3/16 square electrical tape works pretty good on sloppy, worn out parts. I just stack them about 3 to 5 high, after cleaning the pad on lever real good. That works good for a surprisingly long time. Some build it up with epoxy, and that'd be good, also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.