Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 aspencade, when i push the start button the bike doesnt start up, the starter is cranking but bike doesnt start until i let go of the start button, and the bike does start right up, any ideas? Battery is 3 years old, when i turn key on voltage is 12 volts, when running alternator putting out 14.0 to 14.2 volts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
This is an early sign of your battery going bad. While cranking, there is not enough voltage to fire the ECU. When you release the button all voltage goes directly to fire the spark. Have your battery load tested to confirm my diagnoses....-Rich

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Rich is exactly right. Many (many) have encountered this and used the saame battery for years. I for one as a matter of fact. If you get used to it it's not an issue. Just use the starter in short "jabs." If you replace the battery it will almost always fix the issue. I think that the 1500 is not tolerant to voltage drop when cranking. Most vehicles will still fire if your battery voltage is 9.8 or even less. The 1500 tends to act up around 10 volts. Not necessarily a bad battery. Just doen't have the punch it used to have. If you do a search you will find many threads with this issue.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Exactly. I replaced my battery and the same issue was resolved. If it doesn't resolve itself, I would follow the recommendation of using short starter cycles as described.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.