Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, the wife and I went out for a nice :action:ride out in the country after my 12 hour shift last night:shock:and then swung by my mom and dads grocery store for a cold pop:cool:got home about 2pm and been up for 24 hours, Tracy says what time you want up from you nap:baffled:went out side to smoke a cig before sleep and ended up starting to tear down the new 86 interstate will 7 hours later and 2 :blackstuff:buds and god only knows how many cigs :doh:I think I got a pretty good start on it and I have been taking gambler''s advice on baggies with labeled nuts and bolts. This is a learning period for me and I am sure I will be in the tech forum left and right :bash2:with a ton of questions. Hardest part so far was getting some of the fairing main harness connectors undone without damage (yep I took duct tape and permenant marker and mark what wires where what).

Here a few pics of the progress so far.

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

Attachments

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Hey Ray.... what is the plan??? why such an extensive dissassembly?? Jim

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

and the fairing removed. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Good Question Jim:D

Actually I got this 86 wine berry interstate for a song and a dance. If you remember the one Tracy and I took to Calhoun then you know it was a cosmetically challenged bike. My goal is to transfer parts needed ..75% of plastic, save starter, stator and various other parts. I am going to play with the carbs just to learn how to work on them, that way I won't mess up a perfectly good set on my 85:shock:

I am not sure about left overs lol either sale them or ????? open to suggestions:baffled:

The fairing is going on my 85 as mine is falling apart.

In other words I want to learn to work on a bike but not be without one either :action:

Any thoughts are always welcome. Thanks, Ray

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Ray take your time and double check everything. Looks like you are doing great so far. The hardest part is getting into the project. And looks like you are into it just fine.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:

Actually I got this 86 wine berry interstate for a song and a dance. ........clip........

Sell it to me for two songs and two dances..:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Looks good.. sounds like me.. I keep my 1100 as a backup, but ride it about 50% of the time anyway..

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
Ray take your time and double check everything. Looks like you are doing great so far. The hardest part is getting into the project. And looks like you are into it just fine.
Thanks, I love to learn at my own pace :D

I doubt very much that this bike will be put back togather after I steal all the parts I need for mine:cheeky1:but the beauty of it all is learning something new. This bike was rode hard but plastics taken care of :baffled:

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
RayandTracy wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:

Actually I got this 86 wine berry interstate for a song and a dance. ........clip........

Sell it to me for two songs and two dances..:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Looks good.. sounds like me.. I keep my 1100 as a backup, but ride it about 50% of the time anyway..
Thanks Jim...

Ride Safe, Ray

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Cool Ray, I'm still stuck at the fake tank and saddle bags. I'm thinking just getting all the dust and dirt plus the three yellowjacket nests I've found out of the workings the bike may end up running better.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

That looks alot like mine before I painted her black and got a little bit more speed out of her!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Update:

Well got the engine guards and exhaust off today. Clymer manual said to drop exhaust before pulling guards, suggestion:)loosen everything on exhaust then remove engine guards makes getting exhaust off a lot easier:)at least it did for me:cool:

thanks everyone for the support and ideals:bowing:this bike will not be going back together but will be used to change out parts on my 85 and any parts not needed will be sold off in time, the boss has spoken and I tend to listen to her once in a while:doh:

Hope ya'll don't mind me updating this from time to time to show my progress and things I'm learning along the way:goofygrin:

Time to run promised daughter a short ride after school today:action:

Ride Safe, Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.