Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 83 Honda GL1100 Interstate started with just 3 seconds of cranking after sitting in Ohio winter. Wow! I am impressed. But then engine got warm and it started to run wild like 8,000 RPM before I could shut it down. Guessing there is a throttle linkage return spring but if it popped off I can't find it in gravel. Ever happen to you?

The throttle is snapping back as it should and the linkages are snapping back as well. Even the choke cable is free - moving in and out. It seems to be possessed wanting to go full bore when throttle is at idle. Like to point out it idled well for about 7 minutes before RPM's started creeping up and then whamo - 8K.

·
Administrator
26,969 Posts
The spring is on the drum where the cables attach, it ain't coming off. If the throttle is snapping back it's fine. Take the air cleaner cover off and look for fuel puddling in the intake plenum.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
My 83 Honda GL1100 Interstate started with just 3 seconds of cranking after sitting in Ohio winter. Wow! I am impressed. But then engine got warm and it started to run wild like 8,000 RPM before I could shut it down. Guessing there is a throttle linkage return spring but if it popped off I can't find it in gravel. Ever happen to you?

The throttle is snapping back as it should and the linkages are snapping back as well. Even the choke cable is free - moving in and out. It seems to be possessed wanting to go full bore when throttle is at idle. Like to point out it idled well for about 7 minutes before RPM's started creeping up and then whamo - 8K.
A vacuum leak will make the RPM rise pretty high but I'm not sure 8,000 RPM. Does it make a strange sucking noise like a vacuum leak. It has to be a pretty major leak. Not just an 1/8" hose etc. Has to be 1/2" or bigger for it to go that wild. Seems to me I read someone that had a similar issue. Turned out to be one of the vacuum valves under the intake plenum

·
Administrator
26,969 Posts
A vacuum leak will make the RPM rise pretty high but I'm not sure 8,000 RPM. Does it make a strange sucking noise like a vacuum leak. It has to be a pretty major leak. Not just an 1/8" hose etc. Has to be 1/2" or bigger for it to go that wild. Seems to me I read someone that had a similar issue. Turned out to be one of the vacuum valves under the intake plenum
An 1100 doesn't have any vacuum lines to leak except the vacuum advance and it's ported vacuum and no valves under the intake.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

MYSTERY SOLVED - I took lid off airbox and yes there was a liquid puddle. Gas or carb cleaner. Mopped it up. Started and is running fine! Thanks All.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
The spring is on the drum where the cables attach, it ain't coming off. If the throttle is snapping back it's fine. Take the air cleaner cover off and look for fuel puddling in the intake plenum.
I'm confused. I suspect a sticking needle and seat etc. would account for the fuel in the plenum.
I don't understand how the RPM could get that high with the throttle plates closed. Where does all the air get in? Obviously it is the right answer seeing it fixed the problem. I can even imagine the possibility that the slides might start to open but it seems to me if the throttle plates stay closed it should just get fat. Is there sufficient air that can get by the closed throttle plates that it can run that fast even with the plates closed? That sounds more like diesels. More fuel, more RPM. Of course diesels have no throttle plates. :)

·
Administrator
26,969 Posts
I'm confused. I suspect a sticking needle and seat etc. would account for the fuel in the plenum.
I don't understand how the RPM could get that high with the throttle plates closed. Where does all the air get in? Obviously it is the right answer seeing it fixed the problem. I can even imagine the possibility that the slides might start to open but it seems to me if the throttle plates stay closed it should just get fat. Is there sufficient air that can get by the closed throttle plates that it can run that fast even with the plates closed? That sounds more like diesels. More fuel, more RPM. Of course diesels have no throttle plates. :)
Good question but I have seen it happen so it was something to check. I suspect it was running lean and probably the idle screw set higher than normal.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Good question but I have seen it happen so it was something to check. I suspect it was running lean and probably the idle screw set higher than normal.
Weird stuff! I know you must have seen it because it was the first question you asked (fuel in plenum) but at the same time I asked myself what is he thinking. A computerized engine might compensate some by taking fuel away but the IAC would also limit RPM. I could understand an increase but I can't fathom an engine running wild with the throttle closed.......but there it is. :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts