Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was so proud the other day when I posted how I got my starter fixed and the problem I'm having continues.

I got the starter working and tested it on a car battery and it spins like hell. The battery if fully charged and it usually cranks right away when cold but after I ride the bike and when it gets hot it will not start right away. I can hear the solenoid clicking and the dash lights dim but the starter won't turn. It takes 6-7 tries before it makes contact and the starter kicks in but it sounds as if it doesn't have enough juice to crank it full speed.

I have another starter that I "fixed" and that sucker spins fine being connected to the bike battery so before I do the swap I figure I ask.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,635 Posts
imported post

What is the voltage at the starter terminal during the "start cycle"?

If it is lower than 10.5, she ain't going to turn over very well. And if this is the case, there is a problem in the circuitry between the battery post and the starter + terminal. (Assuming the battery is fully charged at 13.6 after riding a while??)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As AZ1500 said you gotta have 10V or so at the starter terminal. Your problem could be a starter relay with burned contacts. There is always some arcing at the relay contacts when it opens and closes the starting circuit which can eventually damage the points of the relay. When that happens you may not get full voltage every time the relay makes or is energized. A failing relay may take several tries to make contact well enough to crank the engine.
One other possibility for a starter to fail after it gets warm is bad bushings or bearings. When cold there maybe enough clearance to allow the starter shaft to spin but when it gets hot it may bind. The solution to that is to check the bearings and or bushings to make sure they are free and lubricated.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Astor123 wrote:
ps. Paul I see that you have more posts than God. You sure you don't have a laptop strapped to your GL, 1 post = 4 miles:action:
They are all good posts too. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Just an idea. You could try turning the contacts in the sillynoid over and see if that helps. Then you will know if that is the problem. Just saying it worked for me and some others. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

We used to wrap the commutator with emory paper and use the brush holder to seat the brushes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.