Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 1985 1200 Aspencade. I put a new battery in - hooked it backwards and blew the main fuse - replaced the fuse and get full panel lights etc with charged battery, but the starter switch does not engage the starter. There is no starter response at all.
Where do I start to analyze?document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif');

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

is it possible that the switch fused? Have you tried jumping across the solenoid?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.
I am not familiar with the 1200 but on my 1000 the headlight goes out when the starter is pushed. If my starter button was fused, the headlight would not illuminate. Does your's illuminate? I would then check the solenoid as UBarW suggests. Had you tried the starter before the main fuse blew? I don't understand why anything would fuse together, but electricity does some strange things. Terry

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Since on the 1200, the fuse is built in in the solenoid. it usually overheats and burns out the plastics causing false contacts. so you might have a problem at the connector.. red wires are 12v to the main system, other two wires (white and green and yellow) feed 12V to the solenoid to start the engine when you push the start button. use a multimeter and check if you are getting 12V when you push the starter button

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
imported post

I agree also with Terry. I believe the headlight should come on with the ignition switch is turnedto on. When the start button is depressed, headlight will go out, and the start solenoid will engage. I don't have a 1200 schematic, but if the headlight goes out,you may have startrelay damage, starter damage, start switch damage, maybe (but doubtful) ignition relay damage. Have I missed anything???

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Any chance the battery shorted out? Just a thought

Toy4rick

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
imported post

I did miss one rick! I've always been taught, check the obvious first. DUH!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Speaking of obvious, is the kickstand down with it in gear?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

1200s does not have side stand switch..., also the start switch, its a double switch, sometimes the light side fails, sometimes the starter side. so if it cuts the light doesn't mean it is fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.