Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter Button missing 84 Interstate

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Ruaidh 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi: I am very new to this forum and will eventually introduce myself properly.

I am down to the short strokes in buying a 84 GL1200I. I just noticed that the (I think)square red starter button is missing and all that is there is a small white tit sticking out of the hole. When this is pressed, the bike starts so it works OK.

What may be involved in getting a new button into the cavity?

Also, are there supposed to be "HONDA" emblems on either side of the fairing? Seller says no, but any 84's I have seen have them. Otherwise, the bike is clean.

I am hoping to finalize this weekend so would appreciate any quick answers.

I will of course, let everyone know all the details IF it goes thru.

Thanks Hawker22

#3 ·
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Hi: I am very new to this forum and will eventually introduce myself properly.
Hello Hawker22 :waving:Greetings to the land of a thousand welcomes :clapper:and to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

#4 ·
imported post

there are normally "honda" pieces on the fairing, however if the bike was painted they might have been removed and not put back on. As for the button, I doubt that the switch assempbly is available (although I could be wrong), however you might easily find on ebay. you will not find just the button for sure. There are lots of us with 1200's... do look at the three yellow wires that come out of the aletrnator and especially at the connection. If it is burnt and fried... you may be looking at an alternator replacemnt down the rode... there are lots of threads on fixing this problem if it still looks good... if they are soldered, then the previous owners already fixed it.

I think the 1200 is a great bike

#5 ·
imported post

Hawker : The 1200's  have three classic problems..  - soft or distorted rear bearings,and flanges... - fritzy CB radios  and - terrible stator problems   These were possibly fixable by Honda../forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif but often were not.. depending on the owner.. You should be able to use the missing button ,the missing emblems, and the (possible ) stator.problem . and reduce the price somewhat ... If you decide to get it.. Good for you... check out the stator ASAP.. get back to us its a simple 3 part test ....... add an EC harness ASAP .it prevents future problems in the charging system. http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl1200_charge.htm and next set of (rear) tire ... carefully check the rear bearings, and the grease on the  rear flanges/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif... But know this for sure.. you are about to buy one of the finest cruisers available.. at any price :  The Four Cylinder Wing .. and if you get ahead of the stator problem.... You will never regret it.. Never !!!! I know 3 Wingers who have now moved on to an 1800... and still own their 1200.... lol Silver Dave../forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif oh .. and welcome to the greatest Wing forum ever..

#7 ·
imported post

Well, I am impressed by this fast response. Having read all that has been written so far, I will add this. I called a local Wing guy, who does many of the local bikes and he told me that the button was only a minor thing and that he can get me one, no problem--just the red square cover for the starter button. He said not to let that influence me in any way. I was aware of the stator plug-he also told me-- and I checked that plug in front of the battery and it was still there and in great looking condition, no browning or corrosion at all. I did the waggle thing with the rear wheel and could feel NO looseness of the wheel or arm. I should be able to get the HONDA thingies for the fairing as well. It is showing 118,000 KMS or about 70,000 mi..

Or else I could settle for a 1983 GL 1100A with 45,000 kms or about 25,000 miles. He is the second owner and he knew the origional and swears the mileage is correct. There is a preceeding Zero on the odometer too. Problem is, the bike has not been cleaned much and the lower chrome if tacky. It may be cleanable but I am not sure. Also, that bike has been down and the right side fairing is slightly cracked but not really scratched. The force also caused some damage to the right air vent and some of it is missing. The rest of the bike is good with pax armrests and a driver backrest included. It is about $400 less than the 84.

Would appreciate any thoughts on that.

Thanks

#8 ·
imported post

Welcome, Hawker22! Goldwing prices take a step in value each time the engine size increases. The '84 has a newer "look" than the '83, and some parts are a bit easier to find.
I would check brakes, tires, mufflers and how well the bike idles and runs, and not be so worried about the extra miles. These engines tend to run fine well over 100,000 miles. If the exaust buffes a bit of blue on startup, don't get too worried, as this is normal.
My wing has over 96,000 miles.
GOOD LUCK!

#10 ·
imported post

I'd prefer the 1200 but either bike could be a good deal depending on the price. It's likely that the stator will hang in there for a long time, especially since the connector looks good. I'd think there's less likelihood of a stator failure on the Interstate since it has a lot less electrical load on it. Could be wrong, just a hunch. The difference in miles isn't much on these bikes they go for a loooong time. Cruddy chrome isn't all that easy or cheap to clean up and you will find more parts around for the 1200. But money talks and the 1100 is a great bike too. Look at Steve's Goldwing History on the home page of this site and you will see the differences between the two models that might help you make up your mind.

#11 ·
imported post

Cracked Fairings are easily plastic welded  by a plastic shop... Chrome is an excellent winter project.. they make great polishes  to use with your Dremel tool... so do not worry too much about that , unless the chrome is pitted ,and flaking... but .../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif Sticking out my chest , as Proud owner of a 1200/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif ... it was one of the finest touring bikes EVER made... and will easily go,if you do your own wrenching... 200 000 or more...   If all else is equal ... and the prices seem comparable.. then go for the 1200./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/goofygrin.gif..  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

#13 ·
imported post

My first 'Wing was an 83 1100i that I loved and it was great up until the day she died (long story to be told another time.) Replaced her with an '85 1200a and with only the minor change in engine size I seemed to have moved to another plane of existence with a GoldWing. The 1200 is a great bike and seems to just crave to go fast. (or faster...) Most of the guys on here can help you with any mechanical problems and fixes. (I say most as I am an example of a motor retard = motard.)

I kind of miss the '83 but this 1200 seems to take hills better, have more torque and a quieter performance and a better stereo. I swear that this bike just seduces me to go faster as I ride. I keep finding myself riding faster than I intended (note - did not say wanted...)

Having owned both, IMHO I would suggest the 1200. Ride each if you can to compare.

Ruaidh

#14 ·
imported post

So the fact that the 83 is an Aspencade would have little to no bearing on things???? I am wet eared new to Wings and am eager to learn. I am, however, very mechanically minded and love to tinker with things, and have owned a couple smaller bikes, including an old Harley 45 army bike when I was a kid. I have also rebuilt a couple of MGB's from the ground up, including total engine rebuilds, if that may help you to know my ability or lack thereof.

I wasof the opinion-thru my reading, that Aspies were more desired than Interstates but I will be more than willing to listen and heed the advice I get here.

I am still on the fence and both bikes are still available. The 84 Gl1200Ineeds a new speedo cable put in, which he says failed on the last trip he was on. No reason to disbelieve him. Is that a common failure and one that is easy to fix. I asked him to put it in so I could see the speedo working before I bought. We are doing that tomorrow. Any other things to look for???? This is just great--I feel like I am now among friends who will guide me along.

Thanks

Hawker22

#15 ·
imported post

I think Ruaidh has the best idea, see if you can get a ride on both bikes. The fact that the 1200 is an Interstate vs. the 1100 Aspy does complicate the thing a bit. You'll just have to look at the goodies on the Aspy and decide if they are important to you. Give a good look at both bikes to see which one pleases you most to look at, aesthetics are important too.

Since you live in the North you might want to consider which bike is most ready for riding right now without too much time spent on working on it. I know your season is a bit shorter than more Southern locations. Either way you can't go too wrong, they both are great bikes.

#16 ·
imported post

I think I solved my dilemma. Today I bought an 84 GL1200 Aspencade. It would seem to be the best of both worlds, based on all the great advice above. I spoke with the bikes service and maint. guy and he told me all about the bike and gave it a really good report--New Honda exhaust--new starter-- reworked electrical system, for the stator problem--recently overhauled and balanced carbs--new steering neck bearings- new brakes and reworked calipers and pistons-new thicker windscreen with a new chrome trim with the eagle crest on it-almost new tires-regularly serviced all over, and so much more that I can't relate right now. It is fully dressed and even has a CB radio/intercom and a trailer hitch. That worries me a little. Does hauling a trailer in the past mean anything????

The seller is a very meticulous person with his machines and did no wrenching himself, all done by thepro. He just this last weekend, bought a 94 1500 and I saw this first. I think I am ecstatic.

Thanks again to all who helped me with their words of advice. I can't wait to get it home tomorrow and start looking for real.

I will of course be ever present on this board and sucking it all up. If you check my profile, you will know that when I say I feel like a 20 year old with a new girl, I am saying something.

Hawker22

#17 ·
imported post

My '85 has a hitch. Didn't bother me. Did it pull a trailer much, or was the hitch just part of a bumper/light bar?

#19 ·
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
I thought the hitch came as part of the Aspencade package. :baffled: My 83 has one.
Bob :11grey:
Nope hitches were add ons.

Glad to hear you jumped off the fence Hawker22. Sounds like a great bike, I know you're going to have a fine time with it. Headaches too, but overall a lot of pleasure.

#21 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
Since you live in the North you might want to consider which bike is most ready for riding right now without too much time spent on working on it. I know your season is a bit shorter than more Southern locations. Either way you can't go too wrong, they both are great bikes.

Exavid: While I am awaiting for my wife to return with a certified cheque to cover my bike, I read everything again, and found your quote. This is meant to be funny and nothing else, since I know the weather conditions on the northwest coast are pretty great--at least better than here, BUT

Tacoma 47 degrees N 122 degrees W

Halifax 44 degrees N 63 degrees W

Respectfully

Hawker22

#22 ·
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
It is fully dressed and even has a CB radio/intercom and a trailer hitch. That worries me a little. Does hauling a trailer in the past mean anything????

Hawker22
One of the reasons I bought my current 'Wing (85 1200a) was that the PO had a trailer to go with it - package deal. I can't feel the trailer behind me, I can hear it once in a while if it's loaded light and I go over something that makes it bounce enough to jangle the safety chains.

The guidelines for the trailer say no more than 1/3 the aggregate weight of the bike and passengers and I don't think we'll ever hit that mark. But it still allows me to carry enough gear for 10 days/2 weeks.

Ruaidh

#23 ·
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
I thought the hitch came as part of the Aspencade package. :baffled: My 83 has one.

Bob :11grey:

I spent last night combing thru the 84 Aspencade's manual and I read that the bike is not intended to tow a trailer, so I can't see it coming with a hitch installed. Also, I see that the max weight, including rider, pax, and cargo is not to exceed 380 lbs.

Since I will gross out at about 240(with all my cloths and gear) and my wife will probably gross at 150 lbs(Hope she never reads this); if we take along about 30 lbs of cargo, that puts us overweight. How concerned should I be over that, and aside from boosting the rear air toward max, and perhaps the rear tire press., what else should I do?

I have read every archive on the topic that the search would bring up and so I hope I am not beating too much of a dead horse. Then there is the issue of all the extra stuff that is added to the bike(probably most bikes fall into this category). In reading the discussions about fuel economy and the fact that it seems to decline with time; could it attributed to all the extra weight that is being added. And for sure, a 150 lb rider will get better mileage than a 250 lb one.

One last thing, this thread started about a missing starter button. Well, now I have a bike with a missing horn button cover. Never noticed it till yesterday, when I tried the horn--Oh well, I will find one. Also the right rear antenna has a stripped lockdown bolt-the one that holds the antenna upright and allows it to be lowered. Any quick fixes?????

This may better suited for the GENERAL section but I just tacked it onto here.

I am having a blast with reading and doing and driving a bit(still illegally though) So happy that I have found this site.

Thanks all

Hawker22

#24 ·
imported post

I would take caution with anything that anybody, especially me, on this board tells you without documentation, about exceeding any factory established limits. With my own weight, Rodent's weight and gear in the saddle bags and trunk, we exceed teh load limits on my bike. I guess I get to owe it to my experience and the quality of craftsmanship of the machine that we do pretty good on it.

Personally, IMO, any weight that I can transfer to the trailer with it's slight tongue-weight on the bike, I feel I am coming out ahead by moving the load. The allows me to keep lighter loads in the trunk and panniers.

The thing to remember is that while most users on this (or any other) forum are very experienced riders and educated mechanics, not everybody on here is. People can make suggestions and comments but ultimately, the choice is yours. Nobody on here wants to take any liability on for telling you to exceed manufacturers limits.

That said, I love the way my bike handles the trailer I have. I have seen hundreds of 'Wings pulling trailers and I personally do not know of any that have had failures due to towing the trailers. One common trailer I've seen is the small utility trailer kit that you can buy at Harbor Freight (love that store!) with a car-top carrier added to it. There are also dealers out there ready and willing to sell you a trailer and I am sure they will tell you there version of how well your bike will handle the trailer.

Not meaning to throw a cloud over the discussion, but you know that the final decision is yours.

Ruaidh

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.