Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got motor out to change starter clutch on my gl 1100 1983 wing, i need to know if there is a way to check this is working ok, before putting all back together. i fitted starter clutch back in place and tried the starter, but its still just spinning. Does the stator need to be in place and wired up to do this check. i don't want to seal everything up until i know its going to work. Can't get my head round how this starter clutch works.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, the starter chain spins, but the engine doesn't turn. the chain will only pull in one direction like its supposed to.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i should mention, i replaced the starter motor also as it needed new brushes. Is it possible the starter is turning the opposite way from what it should? i would have though it had to turn against the tension of the chain.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
It should turn clockwise as you look at it from the rear.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, i've taken starter back to reconditioners, as its turning anti-clockwise. Am i right in saying that if the starter chain pulls easily in one direction, then the starter should turn the opposite way?

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
thanks, i've taken starter back to reconditioners, as its turning anti-clockwise. Am i right in saying that if the starter chain pulls easily in one direction, then the starter should turn the opposite way?

Yep!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As you're doing the test on the bench are you sure you're not reversing the battery cables as it would take major modification of the starter to make it run backwards with the cables attached correctly.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Ken - the starter was one i got as a swap out for my old one, as the brushes had gone. It was from a reconditioners that deal mainly with cars, so i guess although it looked exactly the same, it had different insides causing a reverse rotation. Got it swapped again today, and it turns engine great. I can even figure out how the starter clutch works now.

Good time to replace clutch and give engine some paint while i've got it out. Hoping to trike it v.soon, just waiting on an axle coming.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
As you're doing the test on the bench are you sure you're not reversing the battery cables as it would take major modification of the starter to make it run backwards with the cables attached correctly.

Reversing the polarity will not make a starter turn backward.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Reversing the polarity will not make a starter turn backward.
Hum, please tell the electric winch manufactures about this.

They use starter motors to power their winches and reverse the polarity to wind the cable in or out. If it doesn't work they need to know.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
Hum, please tell the electric winch manufactures about this.

They use starter motors to power their winches and reverse the polarity to wind the cable in or out. If it doesn't work they need to know.
A winch motor has 2 poles.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.