1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all:cool:
Just got my first wing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got it here stared it went for a ride it did fine !!!!!I know the starter solenoid needs replacement,but now all i get is the starter turning but not the engine!!!!!!!!!Is there any way to free it up with out removing the engine?I can get it to engage by pulling the plugs and helping it by turning the rear tire!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Change the oil to 10/40 or even 5/30 if it's really cold..thick oil will stop/slow the starter clutch..before you change out the old oil but some seafoam, or MMO in the old oil run it for a 100 miles and then change the oil out this will help remove old sludge.

Second option could be hydrolocking from fuel in the cylinders..take the plugs out and turn it over if gas spits out big time..one or more of your carbs is leaking gas past the float needle..always turn your petcock off..but still change you oil.

PS if you don't know when your timing belts were last changed do that too..a great tutorial in the reference section with pics!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

can you give us any maintenance or history of the bike ??

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It looks like he just changed the oil hes up north so i would think he put lighter oil in it!!!!!!!It feels thin!!!!!!!!!Its got 45000 miles on it

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

how long do the clutchs last in the old wings??Do you think it is the springs are bad in the clutch!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You could try heating up the engine casing with lights or a heat gun..or an oil heater..put into the fill port??? Most likely your problem is thick oil or sludge stopping the clutch from letting go.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

has the bike been sitting ? if so how long ?
clutches last a long time with proper care and feeding. but batterys dont seem to have a long life . how old is yours ?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

its not hydrolocking ,i had the plugs out!!!!when i was helping the starter turn it over!!!!!!!Oh and i had it in 5th gear!!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

yes it was sting for maybe 2 years before the guy i got it from he cleaned the carbs and rode it for 3 or 4 hundred miles before he sold it to me!!!!!!!!!will try to heat up the oil see if that helps

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

can someone explain how the starter clutch works,i looked at the parts just dont no how it engages

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

eagleswing wrote:
can someone explain how the starter clutch works,i looked at the parts just dont no how it engages
i cannt explain it real good but there are 3 little rollers that ride down a ramp with springs. what you might do is drain a quart of oil out and add a quart of atf and push start it and then let it idle for a while. the atf should clean the varnish off the rollers and the ramps if thats the problem. jb

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

do you know what a sprag or one way clutch is? thats how the starter engages the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Strange? If it were truly the starter clutch not engaging then taking the spark plugs out and helping it along by turning the rear wheel in 5th gear should not help any. Do you have a voltmeter? If so I would check the voltage right down at the starter when the button is pushed. It should be at least 10 volts. If not check at the battery with the voltmeter. Why do you think it needs a starter relay??

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

RB wrote:
You could try heating up the engine casing with lights or a heat gun..or an oil heater..put into the fill port??? Most likely your problem is thick oil or sludge stopping the clutch from letting go.
Ok guys i tryed heating the bottom engine case with a infrared bulb,no luck same thing!!!!!!!!What is the best gear to pull start the bike?Going to try pulling it with my lawn mower!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hey Guys
Problem solved!!!!!It was the supposed new starter,its junk!!!!!!!Just glad i had him give me the old one!!!!!!!Put old one back in problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks all that replied to my post!!!!!!
Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.