Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Starter motor was spinning yesterday & the starter clutch was not engaging.

Looks like a big job entailing engine removal:(

Anybody done this by removing the rear wheel & swingarm to get access from the rear? Or is there no alternative but to remove the engine in order to remove the rear cover & alternator rotor?

All opinions & info gratefully received, especially from those who have already had to do it:)

Maybe the engine can be moved forward a bit after fixing bolts removed & it doesn't need to be totally removed from frame.

I have all the jacks & tools needed but the engine weight is scaring me & my old body.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

to access the rear cover the engine must be removed partaway, some people dont even take it to the bench, just slide its butt out to work and install it back in place. don't worry, you have us, and bet there should be a member closer to your location that will be willing to help you. its gonna be fun :p

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
imported post

When the weather is cold this happens quite a bit. The oil is thick and the rollers on the sprague don't "bite" like they should. There have been many success stories if you search this forum without any real repair. Lighter oil, Marvel Mystery oil, and seafoam to mention a few. Lighter oil in cold weather should help but a heated garage might be the best answer. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

After much starter spinning it did finally catch & start yesterday & once the bike was warm it caught every time.

I wanted to do a stator test with the bike running & the 3 yellow stator wires disconnected. The stator checked out fine with as much as 80VAC betwwen any 2 of the wires.

I wondered about the temperature. It was just fine when it was warmer. It is 10°C (50°F) in my heated garage & I did move the bike to the garage entrance to start it. It was 0°C (32°F) outside.

When I bought the bike last May it turned over just fine after sitting for 6mo.
I have bought a replacement alternator rotor with starter clutch from an Ebay store so will have a replacement if warmer weather does not cure it. Will have to wait for April for that though!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

Welcome, oldgoat.

I think redwing52was hinting towardan engine flush, helps get the [email protected] out of the rollers in the sprag clutch. It's a common problem, but most of the time you can get around it without taking out the motor and replacing. Since your stator seems to be doing ok, you might avoid it all that way. Thickening of the oil certainly can do this at colder temps, but 50 is a reasonable temp to expect the bike to work right.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

It's the temperature. Both GL1100s has spinning episodes during the cold. Fine in the summer. The 1983 has new starter rollers too this year!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks all
I'll wait for the Spring to see how it is in normal temps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.