Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 85 GL 1200 the other mornining it was cool about 50 went to start the bike it cranked over about 3 times then the starter spun free let it stop and tryed again she fired right up.Since that time it has done the same thing a few other times warm and cold it has also spun without engaging a time or 2. I guess the long and short of it is my starter going or the bendix and how difficult is it to change out?I am handy with a wrench altho bike's are not myfirst choice iprefer atruck then cars and then bike's. They seem to need some one with hands the size of a 8 year old to work on them.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

My GL1100 does that sometimes in the cold... There is answers to this in FAQS Forum...

In all likelyhood, your starter is fine...

If lot of cold weather starting, switching to 1 grade lighter oil is the most common suggestion...

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Hello Long Shot, In cold weather with 10-40 oil you may get it once in a while. Folks here have said it may however be a tale tale sign of a prob sometime in the future. I bet if you change to a lighter oil, or wait till a warmer day it may go away. At least mine has, and I have read similar posts here before. BTW, I'm from Stockton/Woodston area and have a friend, Chuck Look living in Norton. I rode my New 78 home from Stockton last summer.. Welcome to this great forum.:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Also try some Seafoam in the crankcase. Add per instructions on the can and run it for about 200 miles just before your next oil change. It'll clean out a lot of the varnish buildup in the engine and on the clutch assembly.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster has good advise. My bike does it sometimes when cold, or if the oil is getting time to change.(dirty) Flush engine with seafoam......... may take a couple-three applications to get cleaned out. Keep flushing and draining every couple hundred miles until oil comes out clean. It should help. A thinner oil when cold as stated will help too.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the input i just did the after winter sevice so i'll wait for warmer weather.I like the sea foam idea and will try it when i get closer to the next service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.