Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Everyone!
I just came across a beautiful 1975 Gl1000. It was gifted to me. It's in very good condition and very low miles. It has the (Vetter Windjammer fairing on it). I just got my hands on it 3 weeks ago...When I first started ridding it there was no issues, but after a few rides and bumps the start button wasn't starting the bike, then the headlight was going in and out. (Now it wont come on at all. The blinkers stopped working for a while, then just started up after i Joggled some wires around.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to figure this issue out. It all seems related..
Thank you ahead of time for any info!!!:bow:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

The start button has two circuits going though it. The headlight circuit is normally closed (lights on) until you push the button. Then the headlight goes out and most of the battery power is available to the starter motor. When the contacts inside get garbaged up they can cause starter and headlight issues.
You can remove the start button and carefully disassemble it (there are two springs in there) and clean the contacts. As for the other problems - there are likely corroded connections here and there and maybe some ground issues. Take off the seat and check all the wires. Clean up the connections and check the grounds wherever you find them. The main chassis ground is at the bottom bolt of the leftside triangle motor mount but there are local grounds here and there.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you so much for the info I will check all this out when I get home and see what I come up with!
I'm going to be converting it over to more of a cafe racer style look so I am trying to get all the electrical handled first before anything!
Thank you again..
I like you 1978 NICE!!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

+1 on the starter button.

Since it has a Vetter fairing, check the connections to the bike's harness. Most likely installed with scotch locks that are thirty years past their prime.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:

Since it has a Vetter fairing, check the connections to the bike's harness. Most likely installed with scotch locks that are thirty years past their prime.
I'm sure scotch locks were past their prime a week or more before they hit the market.:lash:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
glhonda wrote:

I'm sure scotch locks were past their prime a week or more before they hit the market.:lash:
That's what I said!:lash:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
Ken Bergen wrote:
glhonda wrote:

That's what I said!:lash:
Well yes but some may not know that scotch locks are pure evil old or new.:cheeky1:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I sent you a PM with stuff you might use

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.