Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, the UPS finally delivered the new starter and I've been trying to install it. Problem, it goes in only so far and refuses to go further. I did notice that the gear the starter goes into is "floating" on the chain, it's not being held stable. Is this normal or have I got another problem. I can tell that the the starter is beginning to go into the gear, but does not go full into it.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

It is very normal for that sprocket to move around some. Most folks try to do a starter swap with the bike on the side stand to let gravity keep the chain and sprocket against the left side of the case.

Anyway try rotating the gear on the end of the starter a hair and wiggle it some more. You will get it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Did the new starter come with a new chain sprocket also? A lot of chinese starters have slightly different splines on the starter output shaft and will not fit on the original sprocket. If that is the case you need to carefully remove the oem sprocket and use the new one. Carefully put your finger throught it and lift it out.

It could also be a small burr on the new splines preventing it from going on. A small file can smooth those out....

Oh...and if it is a chinese starter be prepared for it to not last very long....

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Quite often the new o-ring is too tight and makes the last 1/4 inch tough. By the way, my chinese starter is now 1 yr old and still going strong.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK, that did it. The new starter is in and fully operational. The weather here is in the 30's, high winds, generally...it sucks. And the ride I took today was great.

To all who helped with my many questions.....Thank You!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
What did it?
I second that. Inquiring minds want to know..:?Might help someone else...

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I took the bike off the center stand and used the kickstand. I had to use my finger to get it where I wanted it and it stayed right there. From there it was an easy installation.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback! :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

By the way I got the starter for only $100.00 and $12.00 shipping with a one year warrantee from DB Electric. I found them on line and they were good to their word in that they shipped it the same day I ordered it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.