Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 Aspencade which had a stripped alternator shaft and bolt. After pulling the engine, replacing the bolt and shaft, cleaning up the starter clutch, I put it back together, changing the timing belts along the way. I had a fully charged battery, but when I hit the starter button, it turned over very hard and slowly. The starter also got very hot. I even tried a little starter fluid to try to get it to fire, but it just backfired a bit. It didn't do that before pulling the engine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
83 Aspencade possible timing belt issues

If you are 180 on one side....is that even possible? After pulling my engine for stator issues, I changed the timing belts also. I had it at T1, both cams "up". The left one was easy. The right one was a pain. I decided to rotate it 180 to relieve the spring battle. The belt slipped a bit. I felt the valve tap the piston, so I pulled the belt off the right, it popped back to a rest position. I then counted teeth and rotated the engine until both pulleys were lined up then put on the right belt without fighting the spring. Now at T1, both ups are either up together or down together. That's correct, isn't it? Anyway, it cranks slowly now, won't start, backfired a bit with starter fluid.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Pull the plugs out and turn the engine over by hand.

It should turn easily, if not something is bound up in the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is possible to have one cam out 180 degrees. The starter will seem very sluggish, because you will have 2 pistons coming up on compression stroke at the same time. If you are on T-1 and your timing marks on the cams are correctly aligned to the case marks, and the 'up' is actually up on both pulleys, you shouldn't be 180 out. I'd go back and double check all of your marks.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
If both pulley UP are up and you are at T1, you should be good to go. Are you sure it's the T1 mark lined up and not the other mark on the crank? Can you upload a picture of the pulleys lined up?

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Backfire could be valve timing off, so check the belts again.

BTW you have two threads about this. One is enough, you should ask a moderator to merge them together.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Try switching the plug wires front to back.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
The manual didn't say anything about the pulse generator rod, but I figured the pin should line up with the notch, and got it the best I could; the cover went on. I pulled the little PG cover, and it was rotating with the engine. Put engine back in cycle. All 4 cyls are sparking, but could it have been 180 off? Are they sparking out of order? It doesn't seem likely, but I thought I'd ask before pulling the engine again, taking it to the mechanic, or selling it at a great loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes it is possible to put the PGs in the wrong way and be 180 degrees off. It's not the end of the world, you can switch the PG wires and that will fix it.

BTW you shouldn't keep posting new threads about this. Keep it all in here as the issues you have are all related. If any moderators reading this, combine this into the OPs original "Starter hot and slow cranking after GL1100 engine install" please.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had the same thing happen my engine has only been sitting for like 2 months, ran great before i had to pull it. then after i rebuilt the clutch, and put a new starter on, i ad top prime the carbs 10 time with starter fluid before it would start turning over. then the engine just sounds like hell. im hoping some new gas and a good run through of a few miles will get everything oiled out

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Any chance that the PG housing got hit/damaged when installing the motor?The vacumn advance might be hanging up in the advanced position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.