Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having problems getting the sprocket that's on the chain to stay still and line up with the sprocket on the starter when I put it in. Should I remove the rear tire and the back of the engine or is there a easier way to do it? Thanks for your time. I do not have a repair manual

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

gently lift the sprocket out of the chain & out of the bike. Does the sprocket slide on the starter drive or does it not fit well? If it's close to sliding on easy, take a nail file or something like that & clean off any burrs that might be preventing the two parts from easly sliding on to each other.

now, place the sprocket back onto the chain, lube the o ring on the starter & try again. It should go in with a lil wiggling!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Put the bike on the sidestand.That should line up the splines on the starter and sprocket.Also,if you have replaced rather than rebuilt the starter,remove the sprocket and slide it on the starter splines.Some abter market starters have splines that are just a tad too big.A small file or just putting the sproket on the starter a few times will take care of the problem.Don't forget the o ring.I reused my old one because the one that came wih the new starter was too thick and would not allow the starter to slide all the way into the opening in the crankcase.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You can download a manual from lots of places online

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.