Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I'm sure everyone is getting tired of my lamenting starter issues, so I have something to offer to make it a little easier for the rest of you. I've seen suggestions on leaning the bike and other ways to get the chain and gear to stay out where you can get the spline in the starter to line up. I found a way that works whether the bike is upright or on the sidestand.

Find an old computer harddrive and bust it open, inside you will find two VERY strong magnets. Put one of these magnets against the casing and pull the chain and gear into the position you want, the magnet isMORE than strong enough to keep them in place while you get the starter into position and move it into the casing.

Warning, if you let the magnets connect with each other, you'll need a pair of pliars to get them apart.

Hey, I think I just made for first contribution.:cool:

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
imported post

Good idea Richard, shows you are a thinker.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Another source for a Super Strong Magnet is the Magnetron in Microwave ovens.

I see them set out for the trash on my way to work at times. I will rip the magnets out then set it out for the trash at my place.

Also handy when you drop that screw or odd piece of hardware in the grass.

Tie a string on Magnet and drag it through the grass to find your part if it's not Stainless.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Mohawk,
Your near my home town. Lowville. Nice area to ride in during the spring and summer. I rode home from Oklahoma two years ago (June 2006) from here in SW Oklahoma.
Later Rumple

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Very nice country around your home town.

It's amazing how awesome the state is after you have been away a few years.

It always amazes me how many people think New York state is all city and pavement.

When in fact almost 95 % is still rural farmland and country or Woods.

Have a good one.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

That's how I got my starter in last year. I got a bunch of magnets we get from p.m.ing dialysis machines. Super strong little critters. I stacked 3 together and it held that gear right where I wanted it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

When I replaced the starter on my wing, I just lifted the front of the starter up, slid it right in, bolted it up then I started it right up.

Nightrider1

wing ding wrote:
That's how I got my starter in last year. I got a bunch of magnets we get from p.m.ing dialysis machines. Super strong little critters. I stacked 3 together and it held that gear right where I wanted it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.