Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A couple months ago, my dad suddenly passed away. While at his place deciding what to do with all his stuff, I tried to start his gl1800 with a roadsmith trike kit. I believe it's a 2004. I found that the reverse button was stuck in and got it unstuck, and heard the reverse disengage, but it won't start. The relay clicks and the lights go out, but the starter motor doesn't do anything. The battery had also gone dead at some point but is charged now. Could there be some easily fixable issue from it sitting for at least 2 months with the reverse button in, or am I looking at putting a new starter in it so we can sell it? I've got a valkyrie and a gl1200 that I've worked on a fair bit, but I don't know much about the 1800s.

thanks

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Hello . You say the battery was dead and now charged. I might check the voltage across the battery terminals while pressing the starter button. The starter load may drop the voltage back to near zero. If the voltage remains 10vdc minimum with no cranking , then I would move to the starter solenoid. There, check for battery voltage into solenoid, if present press the start button and check the out going post/cable . Its possible the starter is good but the solenoid contact is not making good connection. At that point you could run a positive jumper wire directly to the starter lead at the solenoid and see if the starter spins.

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
Make sure the kill switch is on and it's in neutral.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts