Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems this ride is becoming a torment for me. I seem to be getting less and less starts each time I have to clean the starter.

Got my ride off the trailer a couple of months ago. and it did not want to start. cleaned the starter and greased it, took apart the solenoid, cleaned it. Got a few more starts out of it. Replaced the bat (which tested good) with AGM bat and got a few more starts. Now the starter is out again and failing bench testing. Just cleaned it and checked the brush's etc...Got two starts and now nothing. I am real close to sending this ride down the road over this. Will be digging into the starter again today.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
First thing to look at is the ring gear in the nose cone of your starter. Check and see if the ring gear is metal or plastic. In a lot of the aftermarket starters they have gone to a plastic ring gear. This gear will move slightly and jump out of position enough to allow the key to push against it and cause a flat spot. Hence, it won't start,as though the starter were locked up. My solution was to go get a metal gear which I transferred to any new aftermarket starter I bought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.