Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a little trouble with a leaking carb last fall that caused me to have partial hydraulic lock a few times - it really stressed my starter I think, because just before I put her away for the winter, the starter was kind of weak and intermittent - seemed to have a mind of it's own.

I was going to pop a new starter in, but I looked in the manual, and it says (for my 1985) first, pull the engine!!

Yikes! I thought I could take out a few bolts and change it in an afternoon! And looking at the diagnostics, maybe it's not the starter, but the relay and a few other possibilities.

Help! Any good ideas on how I should go about checking this out? If it is the starter, do I really have to pull the engine? Any shortcuts?

I'm thinking, if I do have to pull the engine, I'm going to change my alternator, redo the carbs, the whole 9 yards. But it scares the hell outof me, to be honest.

Frank

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

NO you can get it out w/o pulling the engine, take off the gear shift, and maybe the headers rear inside stud but maybe not..try it w/o removing it first it is a wiggle jiggle and out process..forward and then tilt and then back and up and out.

testing..if all you get is a click at the solenoid or nothing at all it could be bad solenoid, bad connection in the circuit to the solenoid or a bad cable/wire in that circuit too.

To test just the starter take a big cable from the positive battery directly to the starter post..if it turns your starter is OK..if nothing most likely a bad starter..which can be rebuild..new brushes, and clean up the ends and commutator. Unless the stud has been broke loose on the inside..from turning it even that's fixable not not easy.

Note battery must be good when trying to start it should still read at least 10 V's on a meter..a battery that shows 12+v" at rest may not have the amps to turn the starter it must show 10V's while you are cranking..you need two people to try that or alligator clamps on your meter.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Check the voltage at the starter while depressing the start button and if you have about 10.5 Volts at the starter then your starter is bad. On the GL1200 access to remove and replace a starter isn't as good as it is on a GL1100. I believe you'll need to drop the exhaust to gain good access.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I checked my pdf Haynes manual and it agrees with you guys - no engine pull required. Yet the Clymer manual contains this dire warning...

"Do not remove the starter motor with the engine in the frame. The starter drive sprocket and drive chain will move away from the hole in the engine rear cover and the motor cannot be reinstalled onto these 2 items. "

Is this crap, or justsomething I have to work around on reinstallation?

Frank

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Frank vH wrote:
I checked my pdf Haynes manual and it agrees with you guys - no engine pull required. Yet the Clymer manual contains this dire warning...

"Do not remove the starter motor with the engine in the frame. The starter drive sprocket and drive chain will move away from the hole in the engine rear cover and the motor cannot be reinstalled onto these 2 items. "

Is this crap, or justsomething I have to work around on reinstallation?

Frank
:waving:Yes it is a bunch of crap! I and many others have removed and replaced a starter on the GL1100 or GL1200 without removing the engine. Wheninstalling the starterput the bike on the side stand which centers the starter chain and gear. Put a light coat of oil on the "O" ring which will make installation easier.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Man, I'm glad to hear that! What would a fella do without this forum?

Once the weather warms a bit I'm gonna go over the starting system as mentioned in a few posts here and others I've read, and make sure I NEED a starter first.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Once the weather warms a bit I'm gonna go over the starting system as mentioned in a few posts here and others I've read, and make sure I NEED a starter first.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.