Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All!

I've used this forum for miscellaneous bits of information, but now I finally joined! Anyway, I've had my 1981 Goldwing Interstate (44,000 miles) taken apart for awhile after discovering a bunch of non-working items and missing fasteners. I've found ways of testing the sensors and what not, but is there a way to test the starter? I've found that (when I had it together and running) that it turned over agonizingly slow and half of the time I ended up push starting it because it just did not spin quickly enough. I actually purchased a new starter about three years ago from a Honda dealer and only put on about 500 miles.

Thanks and I hope that I can contribute useful information in the future!

-David

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I would start with a volt reading on your battery, both running and starting. It shouldn't get below 10v on cranking.

After that be sure the connections are free of corrosion.

Then look at taking the starter apart and cleaning out all the carbon shavings from the brushes.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

if the starter isint actually attached to the bike, someone had me do this once.

take a set of jumpercables and attach one end to a good battery, take the other end, and attach the hot side to the connector on the starter and then tap the ground to any other point on the starter. if it spins it works...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

You need to find the Battery ground lug where it attaches to the Rear engine hanger and clean that connection. Most folks overlook this and it is a real problem spot that sucks a lot of power away from the staring circuit.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Yesterday I went out and hit the starter button on my 78gw and there was nothing! All lights worked. I thought maybe the connection on the starter button was bad again. Nope.
I am writing this on this thread because it sounds familiar to what Whisker just mentioned. Noticed my voltage only showing 10.5V on gage. Hooked up my jumpers from my car but did not start car. Voltage same. Nothing when hitting starter. Then I said what the hell and I hit the back of the left rear of engine 2 times with the butt end of my screwdriver. Yep, hit the button and it started right up. You think my problem is also the ground at the triangle frame connection, or inside the starter??

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

morriscatt wrote:
Yesterday I went out and hit the starter button on my 78gw and there was nothing! All lights worked. I thought maybe the connection on the starter button was bad again. Nope.
I am writing this on this thread because it sounds familiar to what Whisker just mentioned. Noticed my voltage only showing 10.5V on gage. Hooked up my jumpers from my car but did not start car. Voltage same. Nothing when hitting starter. Then I said what the hell and I hit the back of the left rear of engine 2 times with the butt end of my screwdriver. Yep, hit the button and it started right up. You think my problem is also the ground at the triangle frame connection, or inside the starter??
It certainly wouldn't hurt to take a look and give it a clean up anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.