Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike wouldn't start after gassing up the other day, bypassing solenoid didn't help, so I got a push and got it started and home.

Measuring with a meter, I'm getting power to the starters stud when I press the start button but the starter isn't spinning; nothing. I pulled it and it had a LOT of carbon dust in it. Took everything apart, cleaned all well, brushes are 8mm in length. Nothing damaged or in bad shape.

But the starter is still not energizing/spinning even though its getting power. Ideas ?

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
Did you put jumper cables from a battery on it for testing when it was out ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you put jumper cables from a battery on it for testing when it was out ?
I grounded the starter and then just held it up close to the battery and bridged over from the + post to the starter post. Nothing.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If the starter is still out, take it to an alternator/starter shop to have them evaluate it. Though they may not be familiar with the starter since it is out of a motorcycle, they should still be able to do some diagnosis.

What motorcycle are you working on by the way?

If it were me, I'd try to find a new starter and replace it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the starter is still out, take it to an alternator/starter shop to have them evaluate it. Though they may not be familiar with the starter since it is out of a motorcycle, they should still be able to do some diagnosis.

What motorcycle are you working on by the way?

If it were me, I'd try to find a new starter and replace it.
Oops forgot that little detail, lol. 1980 gl1100.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Price looks good except, DB Electrical has a piss poor track record from what I have been reading on these forums.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Found good reviews here for DB too, strange. Re the permanent magnet starters those look interesting.
Fabbing up a longer cable is no big deal.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
How did you ground the starter to test it?? Please don't say it was touching the dirt..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably be best to pay more for the one from Randakk, eh ? Don't have to worry about product quality then.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did you ground the starter to test it?? Please don't say it was touching the dirt..
Just attached a cable to one of the long screws and attached the other end to the battery ground wire (battery was out of the bike).
I put the starter back in the bike with the same result; solenoid click, power at end of starter cable, no starter movement.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Just attached a cable to one of the long screws and attached the other end to the battery ground wire (battery was out of the bike).
I put the starter back in the bike with the same result; solenoid click, power at end of starter cable, no starter movement.
Sounds like you have the correct answer. If you decide on a permanent magnet starter you sill ove it. If you run out of fuel you can come home on the highway using the starter. Well maybe not quite. :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you have the correct answer. If you decide on a permanent magnet starter you sill ove it. If you run out of fuel you can come home on the highway using the starter. Well maybe not quite. :p
Thanks, any brand of the perm. magnet you'd recommend ?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Thanks, any brand of the perm. magnet you'd recommend ?
ey seem to be pretty scarce and it seems you take what you can get. I do not know but I wonder if there is only one manufacturer?????????

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ey seem to be pretty scarce and it seems you take what you can get. I do not know but I wonder if there is only one manufacturer?????????
Found on via a site called Stockers. Starter - Honda Motorcycle, HS-36N, $113.10 Good reviews here too, what I found anyway.
Did some more looking at the starter and the commutator grooves are 1mm at the most; just a tired old starter it would seem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think your new starter will please you. :p
I ordered a pair of brushes and a holder from them too. Took a closer look at things today and the insulated positive brush has lost most of its insulation and is really worn down so what the heck might as well try it out too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put the new brushes and brush plate on, had already serviced the rest of the starter...........zoom, zoom ! Works so much better than before.
$19 fix; I like that.
I also heartily recommend Stockers; I placed the order on Sunday.......and it shipped on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Put the new brushes and brush plate on, had already serviced the rest of the starter...........zoom, zoom ! Works so much better than before.
$19 fix; I like that.
I also heartily recommend Stockers; I placed the order on Sunday.......and it shipped on Sunday.
Hey Mailman,
They must not have shipped USPS if you got it in one piece and on time,huh?
Just kidding. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts