Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

some times when its cold out when i go to start my wing the starter just spins. it has never failed to start affter a few tries but i dont want to be some were out in the sticks stoped for the night and get up to a bike that wont start. heat dose not seem to bother my starter and it did not have this problem be for i put it in storage for 3 years i just pulled it out and now im dealing with some other issues like i get a squeal out of the clutch when i first start out in the morning and my fuel mileage sucks about 180 miles to a tank. when i pulled the bike out of storage i changed the oil, antifreeze,and rear drive gear lube. when i get back in to town i plan to change out the plugs and air filter is there some were on line that i can find parts like these for good prices? thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I would try adding a couple oz of Seafoam to the crank case. Ride it a couple of hundred miles then change the oil. The Seafoam should help break free any sticky deposits that you may have as a result of storing the bike. Should help the clutch as well. You can get Seafoam at NAPA and probably other parts stores as well.

Don't put to heavy an oil in. Several on this forum have had similar problems and the thinner oil seems to help.

Bob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Engine flush is readily available in auto parts shops. Mix a small bit with the oil and run the engine for a few minutes, then drain and refill with lighter oil. Works for me. BTW, is it a GL1000, 1100, 1200 or what type of Wing are we talking about??

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

And most definitely review your viscosity.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

this is a common problem with older wings, when the bike sits the starter clutch bearings get a bit stuck and do not engage. Usually they will work after a couple of tries. Several years ago, having nothing better to do, I pulled the engine on my 1000 and replaced the starter clutch bearings.... it worked for a while... but started doing it again... I have just learned to live with it. However taking the engine out is a fun and satisfying weekend endeavor.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
Several years ago, having nothing better to do, I pulled the engine on my 1000 and replaced the starter clutch bearings.... it worked for a while... but started doing it again... I have just learned to live with it. However taking the engine out is a fun and satisfying weekend endeavor.
That is sure one excellent way to get more experience, I just wish I had that much energy to spare....

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

my bike is an 83 gl1100 aspencade. the oil i run is spectro 4 20-50w due to the warm weather in salt lake city in summer and the stop and go trafic here. im going to sea foam the gas tank and the crank case this week. how much of the stuff should i put in the tank and how much should i put in the crank case?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Remember though too. If you are in the sticks, and the starter does crap out, you are by no means stuck. These wings push start real easy. I am able to sit in the saddle, clutch in, bike in 2nd gear, do the Fred Flinstone, dump the clutch and she'll fire right up. The back tire will do about a 1/4 rotation so you don't need much speed at all. Even practice a few times just to get a feel for it.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

revtech,

The Seafoam to fuel ratio is 1oz per gallon.The oil ratio is 1.5oz per quart. It's written on the can. After adding the SeafoamI rodemy :11grey:like normal for a couple of hundred miles. Changed the oil and filter. If you don't get the results you want, do it again.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.