Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Due to health problems of some the Elder Lemons in our family, I parked the Wing for a few months. Recently I tried starting it and it was reluctant to budge. I did get it running and took it for a wee spin to blow out the cobwebs, rats etc, when I arrived home it was reluctant to reverse, actually it just barely moved so rather than do more damage I just didn't and did it myself gingerly on my toes as we do in the real world with other bikes..

I posted and Exavid did give me a bit of advice and anyway I figured it must be the starter motor. My electrics are really clean, in fact under the hood its surprisingly clean considering it's age. I had a look at Steve's video, he made it look so simple even I could pull it out no sweat!

Anyway he did it in under 10 minutes, I didn't but it came out ok, I dismantled it and the bearing cap on the bottom just wouldn't budge but eventually it popped off with a clang, oops (bouncing on the concrete floor).

Now these brushes are 10mm long, two of the brushes were a little tight in their holders and the commutator looks a little scruffy.

Now my question is, how long are those brushes meant to be? and at 10mm should they be replaced?

I should point out that the reason I pulled the starter motor was that it wouldn't start on the button, sometimes it would but most times it didn't. There was no problem before and at no time was there any grief with it up to now! I tried putting it into gear in fifth and rolling back and forth and then trying it, no go. I got a new battery as the old one is probably just hanging in there and it is a gel mat one.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

10mm is about average Wingle. Did you already rule out the starter button being the problem?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

fit the bushes back in and bench test the starter motor if it works you need to look a your starter button and work back keep your bushes put it back together and use heavey duty wire earth the body and touch the +ve bolt and see if it works, i used the bty and the red cable to test if it spins it is something else there is lots of info on here

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Pressing the starter button closes the solenoid, so the connection is made. I have stripped the starter and am in the process of cleaning it.

A local Honda dealer has one of the two pairs of the brushes in stock and measured one of the brushes for me, so the length new is 14mm.

All mine are between 10.5 and 11 mm long so I'm just going to reassemble it after blowing the carbon out and greasing the bearings and then will retest it.

Commutator has cleaned up fine, there was some burning on it but nothing serious, hopefully cleaning out the carbon dust which had gummed up the brush housings will solve the problem.

The brush sets are $34.06 for the pair on the plate and the second set which is installed into the body are $17.90 plus 12% tax for a total of $58.19

Cross your fingers

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Englishted and Akwright for your answers. It's a holiday weekend here and I'd like to be out riding

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok I reassembled the starter and bench tested it with a booster battery pack, spun over fine. Refitting went much faster than the the removal. Putting the bike in reverse and rotating the wheel worked a charm and the starter slipped home in seconds. Locating and refitting the bolts were easier than removal too. The wiring was a bit fussy but it all went back together fine.

Tentatively, I pressed the starter and it started right up. I started it over and over again, took it for a short spin and reversed it up the path and into the drive way. All seems to be fine again.

Thanks again for the advice :)
Colm

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

fantastic news its a great feeling achieving a rebuild

have fun

·
Registered
33 Posts
imported post

On the GL 1500 the standard starter motor brush lenght is 12.5 mm and the service limit is 6.0 mm.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Winging,

Curiously the carbon brush has a 14 imprinted on one of the flats of the brush, this could be a part number or sequence number or just a coincidence. I'll go down to the dealer anyway to have a look at said piece for my own gratification. Are those specifications in the Honda manual?

WINGING wrote:
On the GL 1500 the standard starter motor brush lenght is 12.5 mm and the service limit is 6.0 mm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.