Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do you have to pull the engine to work on the starter motor? The manual says yes, is there an easier way?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Buford,
NO!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE ENGINE. Put your bike on the side stand. Disconnect the neg cable from your battery. Disconnect the positive cable from your starter. You might want to remove the shifter, it just gives you a little more room. Remove the two bolts holding the starter to the side of the engine. Wiggle the starter forward, until the end of the starter spline clears the opening. Tilt that end out and remove the starter. Install in the reverse order. Just add a little oil to the o ring.

Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

Rumple wrote:
Buford,
NO!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE ENGINE. Put your bike on the side stand. Disconnect the neg cable from your battery. Disconnect the positive cable from your starter. You might want to remove the shifter, it just gives you a little more room. Remove the two bolts holding the starter to the side of the engine. Wiggle the starter forward, until the end of the starter spline clears the opening. Tilt that end out and remove the starter. Install in the reverse order. Just add a little oil to the o ring.

Later Rumple
Right on Rumple!! I just pulled mine 2 wks. ago. Didn;t even remove the shifter. Hardest thing was removing the bottom bolt. I bought one of those Extensions where your socket will wobble. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

You guys have any luck with just cleaning out the starter vs rebuilding it? I just can't wrap my mind around a starter going bad after 40k miles on my bike.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
You guys have any luck with just cleaning out the starter vs rebuilding it? I just can't wrap my mind around a starter going bad after 40k miles on my bike.
:waving:I've had my '83 Interstate since new and my starter went bad at 20,800 miles. It does happen as the starter is a weak link on the GL1100's and other GoldWings.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

manual be a lyin again'!!...relax...pull a stud...2 nuts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

yes clean it out....2 things to watch....watch the power stud...dont spin on the inside and pull the brushes away from the amiture to seat on install...peice o' cake

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to pay attention to the little shim washers on the gear end. How many and how they are stacked. I didn't notice them until I pulled it apart and they scattered across the floor. PITA!!! LOL
Later Rumple

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.