Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if you can use any other starter than the two connector stud type on an 89 1500se and if so how do you wire it.

Thanks

Bryan

·
It aint rocket science
3,931 Posts
If the motorcycle did not have a reverse system it would be easy to do. There would be significant hurdles to overcome for OEM performance which makes it cost prohibitive IMO.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thats what i feered, we have a used motor with less miles i want to do a compression check on but it came without alternator and starter, taking the starter from the trike is a bit of a large pain

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
If the motorcycle did not have a reverse system it would be easy to do. There would be significant hurdles to overcome for OEM performance which makes it cost prohibitive IMO.
I wonder if it is possible to take 2 starters and make one good one. That is keep the field and case from the 88/89 and use the other parts from another starter. The fields seldom fail.

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
OK thats what i feered, we have a used motor with less miles i want to do a compression check on but it came without alternator and starter, taking the starter from the trike is a bit of a large pain
So you only need to spin the engine to test compression? Not necessarily use it daily?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, tried the zip gun on front bolt and stopped as it was just tightening the bolt more and yes it does turn using a breaker bar.

The one we are running is unknown mileage but we think high and has at least 2 noisy lifters, on second dose of seafoam and its quieter after 5-10 mins running but very noisey before that

·
It aint rocket science
3,931 Posts
If it is an engine sitting on the floor any year starter should work, just use jumper cables accordingly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True but as we have to buy one it would be better to get one we can use on the trike later, hence why i asked if it is possible to get a later starter(single heavy connection) to work on the bike that had the two heavy connection.

Thanks all for the answers and should anybody have an early starter they are willing to sell we would be interested and yes we know the shipping would not be cheap due to weight but they just dont seem to crop up here in UK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts