Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Hi DatsunChris,

The experts here who are more familiar with your bike will be along shortly. As a tip it makes it a lot easier for them if you put your Year and Model in the title of the post.

I see from the linked video that you have an 1100, what year is it.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Whoops, I knew I was forgetting something, thanks.

Its a '82 Goldwing GL1100.
How cool have your temps been / what weight oil are you using? Try a fresh oil change if you are due.

That seemed to clear up the issue with mine

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Yes that is the starter clutch. Usually happens in cold weather with heavy oil. You may have to roll start it and warm it up then use some MMO or seafoam in the oil. It has been discussed many times so try a forum search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been in the ~40-50's here. Unsure of what weight but the PO said he changed it right before selling. I'll run some seafoam thru it and then change the oil to 5-30 and hope that it helps.

I did do a forum search and found several causes, from oil weight to actually needing to replace the starter clutch and/or bearings. I took the vid of the exact nose it was making to make sure I didn't need to start ordering parts.

Thanks alot for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
It's your bike so do as you wish but I wouldn't go any lower weight oil than 10W40. That is what Honda recommends for pretty much any temperture.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I changed to Chevron Delo400 this year, on the advice of people on here, and have not had a problem, unlike some years when I've always used Penzoil 10/40w.

And it's on sale at Wally world and Autozone for $12.95 a Gallon. 40's and 50's here too, 30's sometimes.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
It's your bike so do as you wish but I wouldn't go any lower weight oil than 10W40. That is what Honda recommends for pretty much any temperture.
I'm with Bellboy here. One other thought is that if your battery is not fully charged they tend to act just like yours when the temps dip a bit. If you have not already bought a "Battery Maintainer", not a trickle charger, then you might give that some thought. I use both the Schumacher from Wal-Mart and the "Battery Tender Jr." brand from motorcycle shops.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Starter

This problem has seemed to have got worse, I even ran the battery down this morning trying to start it. I've searched and see that its a common problem, but there seem to be a few different causes. Is mine the starter clutch, bearings, or just need a different oil/oil flush?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qGQKOTpzUE&feature=youtu.be
If the starter turns but wont engage then the first thing i would try is the correct oil I had a 83 i got for $1000 and sold it two weeks later for $2500 all i did is change the oil to rotella 10w40

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Delo 10/40. That is the ticket for many engine issues.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Delo 10/40. That is the ticket for many engine issues.
Sorry....But it does not come in 10/40.
Most used and readily available is the Delo400LE 15w40. Many members here use it from the frozen Canada to the desert south west and all points east by north and south. Many proven miles of use around town and touring.
Best of all is the price so change it every 3,000-5,000 miles. 3,000 around town as stop and go, short rides are hard on any motor oil and deposits build up fast, you can go 5,000 changes touring as long as it is not a bunch of stops made.

http://www.deloperformance.com/products/engine-oils.aspx#product3

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I 've started my wing when the temps were in the 30's with 20/50 wt oil without issues. I don't believe that's the problem given the sound the starter was making. I had mine apart twice . Once to clean it up which helped for 2 weeks, then after the second time I found the planetary gears were stripped. Parts of the stripped gears were being meshed up and jammed up the works .I find it interesting I had about the same mileage on my bike as you do. I replaced it with a new E-bay starter. Problem solved.,,

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
starter getting bad !

This problem has seemed to have got worse, I even ran the battery down this morning trying to start it. I've searched and see that its a common problem, but there seem to be a few different causes. Is mine the starter clutch, bearings, or just need a different oil/oil flush?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qGQKOTpzUE&feature=youtu.be
Try the oil maybe someone put the wrong oil in it , i got a bike for $1000 the starter wasent engaging , i change the oil to the correct type and after running it for a 10 miles the starter was perfect cant use that wal-mart stuff I use Rotella 15-40 year round, forgot i sold the bike two weeks later for $2500

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
In your video it sounds like you hit starter and hold for a few seconds when it is not engaged. Then you press and hold again and it slips out of mesh but you seemed to hold for an extra second or two. If this is true, I might suggest just tapping the starter button until it "catches", then press and hold for only few seconds at a time. As soon as it slips, stop. Also sounds like it may be missing a gear lobe or two when I thought I heard a sorta clank in there.
You can pull that starter and blow/clean out in a day easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.