Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am a new member on this website. I have read for months as a visitor. I bought this bike, 76 gl1000. A little background on the bike: It has sat for twenty years. I have changed timing belts, cleaned carbs, new battery, anti-freeze (from Honda dealer), cleaned all brake calipers, added new fluid, changed final drive fluid. I had it running and couldn't get the carbs synk'd. I gave up and just let it sit sinceNovember.I finally figured out my problem with carbs, operator head space, of course. Now I can't even get a click out of it. I recharged the battery, and still nothing.It is in neutral. Turn signals work, headlight does Not. Frustrationhas set in, not a good time to proceed. Thanks for any info. Sorry for the long post. Terry

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Check the clutch swtich at the lever. Simple way to check is to unplug two wires use a paper clip as jumper see if starter works.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

From the indication that the headlight is also not working then I'd say get some contact cleaner and give a healthy dose of it to the start switch assembly on the right handlebar. The starter switch also kills the headlight when depressed into start mode. This way the starter receives full voltage to turn the motor over and start.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hi terry. While your searching for your problem, pull all 4 plugs out just incase one of the cylinders is sitting full of fuel. The start button could very well be your issue. Try jumping your relay with a screw driver to see if it cranks. Confirm that your kill switch is not activated. All main connections from the battery to the starter through the relay must be clean & tight. Look for a broken dog bone fuse down in the area of your battery. They will look good but will crumble if pulled out when they are old. If yours is suspect, cut it right out & re wire a blade type fuse in its place.

Keep us posted, The more info you send, the more we can send back, It will run for you very soon!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks to all for the tips/help. I'll check these out in the AM. I'll leave an update then. Terry

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

not that any of us would suspect you would blow the carb repair job and have a leaking carb, but pulling the plugs takes just seconds and is not a bad idea :)

just one quick note on something that happened to me yesterday...went out to crank the '75 GL1000, and it would not start. Finally pulled in the clutch and it cranked right up... I let go of the clutch and heard a funny noise... the rear wheel started moving... the bike was in gear and the neutral switch had showed a false positive (green light on when in gear) - very common on the early 'Wings

the start switch is a weak point of these bikes... if yours has high miles or if the switch is funny feeling (not nice and springy) then you may be looking at one of the new OEM switches soon. You have done a lot for this old lady, you may as well give her the best "on" button possible.

Congrats on swallowing nearly the entire elephant of vintage bike restoration...now you just have a tail and a few toes to go...those can sometimes be the toughest to chew LOL

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

went back and re-read your initial post... if the headlight is out and the neutral/oil light come on (you know the key is turned to "on" then) then you most likely have a start switch problem

first, thump the switch and see if it will bounce out enough to turn back on the headlight... then you know one problem is a sticky switch (see earlier post about fixing it)

if pushing in the button does not cause the happy noise, then you may want to first pull the headlight (or access the wires in the headlight shell) and see that the start switch is working. Look for the yellow/red wire and see if it goes to ground when the button is pushed. If it does, then time to check the solenoid... see earlier post about jumping over that bad boy. Solenoids do go bad, but Honda uses a pretty good one so this happens infrequently.

Lastly, triple check voltage on the battery and battery connections... corrosion from sitting since Nov can drop system voltage too low to function

that is allI got...good luck

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

As said earlier.ake sure your bike is on centerstand in case it fires up in gear. Make sure your are in neutral by rocking the rear wheel. If in neutral and no start you can jump by touching both post of the solenoid with a screw driver or hold a heavy guage wire from the pos battery cable to the starter bolt.
If nothing happens by jumping the solenoid , try the wire to the starter.

If the wire fails , you have a starter issue.
if the solenoid jumping fails
check your dogbone fuse. also disconnect the plug wires from the solenoid assembly and inspect that the contacts are clean.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to everyone for your assistance. I finally got the starter to energize. The carb work seemed to be ok, as there was no excess gas. As suggested my problem was with the starter button assembly. Washing the assembly with contact cleaner and working the button done the trick. Again, thank-you. Terry

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

Terry,

I read the full thread and did not see you mention that you had cleaned and regreased the shaft drive splines where it mates to the transmission.

You need Moly 60 Lithium or better. Honda has it, and good auto supply stores do also.

You won't need a lot, just make sure they are lightly coated.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

You're correct. I didn't regrease the splines. I never thought about them. It only makes sense. Thank-you. I realize there are many other items that I need to care for. I have new tires sitting next to the bike. when I slip the front tire on, I'll lube the speedometer gear and both cables. I'm so glad everyone is giving all the tips and help. Hopefully, I'll have an incident free first ride. Again thanks to everyone.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Might be the starter solenoid or it could be the starter itself. Tryshorting the posts of the solenoid and see if it will turn over that way to rule out starter.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.