Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HEY, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

BUT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK, IS THERE A SIMPLE WAY TO TEST THE STARTER ON THAT 82' GL-1100 TO MAKE SURE IT IS BUSTED. I KNOW THAT THE WORD SIMPLE MAY NOT GET USED A LOT WHEN TALKING ABOUT THE OLDER GOLDWINGS. BUT I WAS HOPEING TO BE ABLE TO CONFIRM SOMEWAY WITHOUT REMOVEING THE ENGINE.

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE STARTING SYSTEM THAT MIGHT HELP.

ALSO WHAT IS A GOOD SPARK PLUG TO USE?

THANKS A LOT TIM

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Tim, You don't have to remove the engine to take the starter out, in spite of what the Honda book says.

To test the starter, try this;
If you have a spare battery off a car handy (or just connect your car to the bike with jump leads) you can check the strength of the starter.
Connect the - lead from the car battery to the frame of the bike (engine guard will do) and then tip the + lead from the car battery to the connector on the starter body (where the lead from the starter solenoid is connected), you are actually bypassing all the bikes electrics and any bad connections or possible bad battery etc. If the starter still turns slowly with the + jumper connected, then you will have to take the starter out and strip it to check the brushes and internals.
If the starter turns over nice and fast when you connect the jumper then you have a fault elsewhere, possibly a bad connection or earth point, even bad points inside the solenoid.

Best bet is to do the test describedand let us know what the results are first before we have to go into more detail.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

THANKS A LOT JASON!! I WAS HOPEING IT I COULD GET THROUGH THIS EASYER BUT OH WELL. I WILL TRY THE CAR BATTERY BYPASS IDEA. THERE SURE ARE A LOT OF UNKNOWN TRICKS TO WORKING ON THE GOLDWING SO I MIGHT HAVE MORE QUESTIONS TO COME

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

Do you have a multimeter?

You need a fully charged battery to keep the starter relay engaged.

Have a buddy press the start button and put the red meter wire on the hot wire post on the starter and the black to ground? Are you getting voltage to the starter???

This is a good time to check for rusty connections.

You don' need to remove the engine to take the starter out. I did mine on the side stand. A good internal cleaning and new brushes cures my starter's ills. It helps to have small hands too.

Good luck with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.