Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello from cleveland,, i know this question gets asked often, but if the seleniod just clicks and nothing happens with the starter,, which one is bad,, or where do you start looking, i have the starter removal info ( i hope the side stand technique works}.. thanks very much///

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

A multimeter makes things easier.

Get a buddy and hit the starter button with the leads of the multimeter on the hot wire going into the starter and the other to ground on the volts setting. If you get voltage or current going to the starter, then you may need to pull the starter and clean it up inside and maybe replace the brushes.

If you get 0 voltage to the starter then the solenoid is suspect.

Be sure your battery is strong or jump it with a car batter with the car NOT running.

I have an 83 and had the exact problem a year ago. My starter needed service. Cost me $20 in parts.

Good Luck.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Ok, I give up ! What's the "Side Stand Technique" ????

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

You have the bike on the sidestand when you remove and re-install the starter. There is a sprocket or something hanging on a chain that needs to stay lined up with the hole that the starter goes into.

That's about it.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

edzinohio, where do you buy the brushes at?? thanks d.t. probably any honda shop has them eh/// duu...... thanks

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You can also do a quick test by bridging the 2 solenoid in/out terminals for a second. If the starter spins then the solenoid is bad, if the starter still refuses to go then it's time for repair. Make sure before doing any tests that all the connections and the main fuse (main fuses can develop cracks)are solid etc. and your battery is full.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.