Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The starter button is fragile,it’s just small mechanis,chances are it’s failed inside,they are famous for that,it’s near 30 years old

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
The starter button is fragile,it’s just small mechanis,chances are it’s failed inside,they are famous for that,it’s near 30 years old
Read post # 18 again. He is powering the starter from the battery (not from the starter button).

Reading 101....!!!!

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you.the battery is good.i fear the belts broke.but not while running.if so i can fix it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Doubleminded, I sent you a message regarding something you should check.

Recommend doing it before you transact the sale.....!!!
How do i find your me
In addition to other suggestions provided......

Have you tried applying direct power from the positive battery post to the terminal labeled "M" on the starter relay A. This would apply direct power to the starter motor.

I know you jumped from the starter relay A terminals "B" to "M" but I would also do the above test as well.

Try this a few times as there could be a "dead spot" on the starter rotor. Such things can happen...!

You are probably aware the Interstate starter is different than the Aspencade and SE starters.

Based on what I read in your OP, you could possibly have a starter motor issue OR a starter switch issue. Its possible the starter switch could be sending an "intermittent" signal to "trigger" the starter relay A. You did say after a few tries, it spins and starts....!! Just another thought.....!

Let us know what you find.

Flame suit on.....!

Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
How do i find your me

Thank you
If you have the starter out what does it do if you use your jumper cables and a good battery?? Positive to the stud terminal and negative to the starter housing anywhere that is relatively clean? It should spin like crazy!! o_O .

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Read post # 18 again. He is powering the starter from the battery (not from the starter button).

Reading 101....!!!!
Read post #1,he was having issues with the button before he hooked it up direct.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
His first priority should be getting the bike started. Checking out the starter issues. Then deal with the starter switch later.

Reading post # 1 again, it looks like he got the starter switch working....!!

(Now yesterday it wasn't starting, just a click.) His words not mine...??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If you have the starter out what does it do if you use your jumper cables and a good battery?? Positive to the stud terminal and negative to the starter housing anywhere that is relatively clean? It should spin like crazy!! o_O .
It does.thats why i suspect starter clutch.meaning have to pull the engine or broken belts.while it was not running

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
It does.thats why i suspect starter clutch.meaning have to pull the engine or broken belts.while it was not running
Unless you really have bad hearing you should have heard the starter spin. Don't you think? Did you ever try reverse?

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
In post # 31, he said it does spin....! If I read it correctly...!
Hi Dave,
I think what he was saying is it spins on the bench in post #31 but I am not sure.

Double, your answers are so inconsistent that you might be confusing everyone. .If you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver it burns the tip of the screwdriver but if you use jumper cables you get nothing????? That is just 2 ways of doing the same thing with 2 different results.
Let's start fresh. If you have the starter on the bike take a known good battery and jump the red to the stud and the black to the metal case on the starter with the bike in neutral. Beware.....lots of times you don't get a real good connection with jumper cables. You have to wiggle them around and really dig the black in to the dirty starter housing to get a good connection. There is a lot of power that goes through the battery cables so hopefully you have some reliable ones,
If you are jumping between the 2 threaded terminals on the "B" solenoid with a shinny screwdriver it might be normal to bur the tip with that much power going through the screwdriver. You might need a heavyer screwdriver and really jam it in between the 2 big threaded terminals. You need good connections for the tests to make sense.

We know you are struggling and there is plenty of knowledge here to find the issue but your answers just don't jive. Take some extra time to explain what you did and how you did it in great detail. Most who post do not relay good info. Drives us crazy. o_O :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Hi Mike,

Why I replied..........

Post # 28, You asked with starter out, what does it do, it should spin like crazy.

Post # 31, He said yes (to the spin question).

Post # 32, you said unless bad hearing, you should have heard it spin.

I was just trying to follow along with things, but its hard based on his lack of good detail information.

It is hard to help at times...!!

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Hi Dave,
I think what he was saying is it spins on the bench in post #31 but I am not sure.

Double, your answers are so inconsistent that you might be confusing everyone. .If you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver it burns the tip of the screwdriver but if you use jumper cables you get nothing????? That is just 2 ways of doing the same thing with 2 different results.
Let's start fresh. If you have the starter on the bike take a known good battery and jump the red to the stud and the black to the metal case on the starter with the bike in neutral. Beware.....lots of times you don't get a real good connection with jumper cables. You have to wiggle them around and really dig the black in to the dirty starter housing to get a good connection. There is a lot of power that goes through the battery cables so hopefully you have some reliable ones,

____
If you are jumping between the 2 threaded terminals on the "B" solenoid with a shinny screwdriver it might be normal to bur the tip with that much power going through the screwdriver.
_

You might need a heavyer screwdriver and really jam it in between the 2 big threaded terminals. You need good connections for the tests to make sense.

We know you are struggling and there is plenty of knowledge here to find the issue but your answers just don't jive. Take some extra time to explain what you did and how you did it in great detail. Most who post do not relay good info. Drives us crazy. o_O :mad:
I believe he has a 1992 Interstate. No "B" relay.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Unless you really have bad hearing you should have heard the starter spin. Don't you think? Did you ever try reverse?
No reverse on a 1992 Interstate....!

But I know it is hard keeping up with things when there are soooo many posts.

I should quit watching this thread....!

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
No reverse on a 1992 Interstate....!

But I know it is hard keeping up with things when there are soooo many posts.

I should quit watching this thread....!
Dave,
We need all the help you can offer. I realized it was an Interstate and has no reverse but no one responded so I did not change it. Good catch though.
It is hard to do over the computer. Many times takes longer to type than do the task. Confusing like when he jumped the solenoid and got power but nothing when he jumped the starter with cables. That is why I thought maybe staart over??????

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Its an interstate.doesnt have reverse.i got the starter,battery tray,battery all bolted in properly.theres really only one way.hit the start button.click.nothing else.i took a test wire about 12 gauge.alligator clipped onto pos battery post.other end alligator clipped to post on starter where the cable from M of the solenoid is attached.the wire got real hot immediately. Had to jerk it off.the starter never budged.this indicates seized engine.from either the starter clutch gear maybe has a chunk out of the tooth or the belts broke after i parked it.so next i will lift the bike up.take off belt cover.if belts are ok try to turn the engine manually.i dont know if starter gears are visible with cover off.never removed one.my manual should show.if nothing moves then i have to pull the engine.i wont repair it at 164000 miles.i found an interstate motor with 80,000 for 450 plus 250 shipping.or maybe a valkyrie motor.i wasnt sure about carb linkage going from 2 carbs to 6. If you guys get frustrated by my " lack of detail" with my answers please just go to some other guys problem.i am doing the best i can.someone said " he has an interstate,theres not a b post on the solenoid" or thereabouts.there is an M post.from the solenoid to the post on the starter its connected.the B post of the solenoid connects to the positive terminal.the ground comes from under an engine bolt to the ground post of the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Doubleminded, Sorry this is long but trying to help as best I can........

Its an Interstate. Doesn't have reverse.

I got the starter, battery tray, battery all bolted in properly. There is really only one way.

Hit the start button, click, nothing else.

This indicates the starter switch (button) is working.

I took a test wire about 12 gauge, alligator clipped onto pos battery post. Other end alligator clipped to post on starter where the cable from M of the solenoid is attached. The wire got real hot immediately. Had to jerk it off. The starter never budged.

It got hot because the test wire was not heavy enough. The battery size cable that goes from the “M” on the solenoid to the starter motor is a 6 or 8 gauge wire. Not enough current was getting to the starter motor for it to function as it should. See note below about connections to the starter motor....!!!!

This indicates seized engine, from either the starter clutch gear maybe has a chunk out of the tooth or the belts broke after I parked it.

Not sure this is the problem.....!!

So next i will lift the bike up, take off belt cover. If belts are ok try to turn the engine manually.

I don't know if starter gears are visible with cover off. Never removed one.

Starter gears are not visible with the timing belt cover removed....!

My manual should show.

It will....!

If nothing moves then I have to pull the engine.

I suspect the engine will turn over manually....!

I wont repair it at 164000 miles.

Your choice....!

I found an Interstate motor with 80,000 for 450 plus 250 shipping. or maybe a Valkyrie motor.

I wasn't sure about carb linkage going from 2 carbs to 6. If you guys get frustrated by my " lack of detail" with my answers please just go to some other guys problem.

No problem, we are here to help....!

I am doing the best I can.

We understand....!

Someone said " he has an Interstate, there's not a b post on the solenoid" or there about's.

That would have been me. What I was saying “there is no “B” solenoid on the Interstate model. Only one solenoid on the Interstate...!!

There is an M post, from the solenoid to the post on the starter its connected.

That is correct....!

The B post of the solenoid connects to the positive terminal.

That is correct. A cable from the positive battery post goes to the “B” post on the solenoid.

The ground comes from under an engine bolt to the ground post of the battery.

Note: Try using a Battery jumper cable. Connect one end to the positive battery post and the other end to the positive post on the starter. Make sure it is the positive post on the starter (not the negative post on the starter).

Do this before removing the Timing Belt Cover.......!!!!!!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts