Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
Doubleminded, Sorry this is long but trying to help as best I can........

Its an Interstate. Doesn't have reverse.

I got the starter, battery tray, battery all bolted in properly. There is really only one way.

Hit the start button, click, nothing else.

This indicates the starter switch (button) is working.

I took a test wire about 12 gauge, alligator clipped onto pos battery post. Other end alligator clipped to post on starter where the cable from M of the solenoid is attached. The wire got real hot immediately. Had to jerk it off. The starter never budged.

It got hot because the test wire was not heavy enough. The battery size cable that goes from the “M” on the solenoid to the starter motor is a 6 or 8 gauge wire. Not enough current was getting to the starter motor for it to function as it should. See note below about connections to the starter motor....!!!!

This indicates seized engine, from either the starter clutch gear maybe has a chunk out of the tooth or the belts broke after I parked it.

Not sure this is the problem.....!!

So next i will lift the bike up, take off belt cover. If belts are ok try to turn the engine manually.

I don't know if starter gears are visible with cover off. Never removed one.

Starter gears are not visible with the timing belt cover removed....!

My manual should show.

It will....!

If nothing moves then I have to pull the engine.

I suspect the engine will turn over manually....!

I wont repair it at 164000 miles.

Your choice....!

I found an Interstate motor with 80,000 for 450 plus 250 shipping. or maybe a Valkyrie motor.

I wasn't sure about carb linkage going from 2 carbs to 6. If you guys get frustrated by my " lack of detail" with my answers please just go to some other guys problem.

No problem, we are here to help....!

I am doing the best I can.

We understand....!

Someone said " he has an Interstate, there's not a b post on the solenoid" or there about's.

That would have been me. What I was saying “there is no “B” solenoid on the Interstate model. Only one solenoid on the Interstate...!!

There is an M post, from the solenoid to the post on the starter its connected.

That is correct....!

The B post of the solenoid connects to the positive terminal.

That is correct. A cable from the positive battery post goes to the “B” post on the solenoid.

The ground comes from under an engine bolt to the ground post of the battery.

Note: Try using a Battery jumper cable. Connect one end to the positive battery post and the other end to the positive post on the starter. Make sure it is the positive post on the starter (not the negative post on the starter).

Do this before removing the Timing Belt Cover.......!!!!!!
Awesome Dave!!! 😎

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for clear detailed answers.my question is there is only 1 post on the starter.the wire going from m onthe solenoid goes down to that post.it has a nut over the bolt sticking out from the starter covered with a rubber boot.i saw no other post/ threaded bolt sticking out from the starter.a battery cable about 4 gauge or 6 like you said i will do next.a long extension with a 12mm socket is the only way to get through the frame hole to tighten it.a big clamp or alligator wont go through there.thank you for your help.my engine is as solid as new.easily can cruise at 100 mph.i have done that briefly.it shouldnt need rebuilding.i couldnt anyway.i hope and pray the belts did not break.but if they did it was after parking.i think i could put new belts and be ok.wishful thinking.its my 8th goldwing.never had this before.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What do think chances are its the starter clutch.i so very much want to ride it.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
I probably shouldn't speak for Dave but I think he suspects a solenoid issue. There is about 300 amps that goes across the solenoid when you jumped it with the screwdriver. If the screwdriver was small I would expect it to glow red in a short time. Also because a solenoid clicks that DOES NOT mean the solenoid is good.

Replace the starter with the easy bolts and connect the cable to the starter, Take a voltmeter and measure voltage at both threaded terminals at the solenoid. You should have good voltage on one. Now push and hold the start button in. You should have 10 plus volts on both threaded terminals IF the solenoid is good.. Also the starter should spin. If you have good voltage on one and little to no voltage on the other the solenoid is junk.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The solenoid is new btw.its too hot outside here to mess with it.i wish i could find a piece of just wire with no cable ends on it.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
The solenoid is new btw.its too hot outside here to mess with it.i wish i could find a piece of just wire with no cable ends on it.
Have you tried the jump (with a heavy cable) from the positive battery post to the post on the starter motor....??

Or from the battery positive post to the terminal "M" on the solenoid....!!

1. Make sure you have a good battery.

2. Make sure the connection at the "positive battery post" is clean and tight.

3. Make sure the connection at the solenoid terminal "B" is clean and tight.

4 Check voltage at the solenoid terminal "B". You want to see 12 + volts.

5. Make sure the connection at the solenoid terminal "M" is clean and tight.

6. Check voltage at the solenoid terminal "M" (with the starter button pressed). You want to see 10 + volts.

Note: From your previous posts, it appears your starter switch (button) is working good. (You hear the solenoid click)

7. You say the solenoid is new Keep in mind it is possible for a new part (solenoid) to be defective. .

8. Make sure the cable at the starter motor (from the solenoid terminal "M") is clean and tight.

Let us know what you find after working through the above.

Let us know the voltage numbers you have at the "B" and "M" terminals on the solenoid.

Hope it cools down for you to work on the bike.....!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Its down to 92 but humid so i Am trying to get this thing figured out.here are 2 pictures.the m post of the solenoid has a wire from it to the post of the starter.the solenoid post marked b goes from the solenoid post to the positive battery post.the negative post of the battery has a black wire from the post to a nut on the motor somewhere.the mysterious red wire has a female connector.i cant see where it goes.but if i touch it to the positive battery post all the dash lights come on,neutral light etc.there is a definite solenoid click when i push the start button.i tried putting a thick wrench across the solenoid posts.it tries to melt the wrench.lots of sparks.
20200728_130635.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
The red wire is battery power to the system.
M = motor, starter
B = battery +
The other wire engages the solenoid.

do the lights dim when you push the starter button?

david

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
The red wire plugs in as pictured. That is the wire that brings power to the ignition switch. Nothing will work until that wire is connected.

Related to jumping the posts on the solenoid. When you jump across those 2 posts there is 300 amps going through whatever you are jumping with. It is normal to get a pretty good spark. I can't know what you are seeing. There might or might not be an issue. The sparking you see might well be normal and you just jump too fast. :p
Hopefully when you hook up everything and the red wire all will be well. Let us know.

Screenshot (97)_LI.jpg

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
Have you tried to turn the engine manually yet?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Have you tried to turn the engine manually yet?
I put the red wire as u drew.before you drew it.it was the only logical place.the ignition and lights and the start button work.the solenoid posts in my picture is where i put a thick sturdy shaft of a wrench across it.lots of sparks.when i did that with a thin tip of a screwdriver it got hot and tried to melt it.that is why initially i thought my problem was the starter.but with the starter off the bike the starter turns real fast.thats why im leaning towards locked up motor for whatever might be the cause.i.e.starter clutch is bad,broken belts,only other cause would be no oil.it has oil.i havent tried turning the engine manually.when the heat index is 115 and humidity 70% it just makes it too hard.i wish i had 3 gorillas to help me try and push start it.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
If you can stand one more test put the bike on the center stand. Put rhe transmission in OD (5th gear). now grab the rear tire and try to spin the the rear wheel. It will have some resistance but you should be able to turn it with some effort if the engine is not locked up. Test with the clutch engaged. (clutch lever out as normal)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,281 Posts
#0 you did NOT answer Dave's inquiry about the engine being locked up.

#1 Take out all of the spark plugs

#2 do as said, put the bike on the Center Stand, and tranny in 5th gear

#3 roll the rear wheel, if the engine is NOT locked up, you will be able to get it to roll over a turn or two.
if you see water spewing out of the plug holes, you have more troubles to fix.

until you prove the engine is not locked up, you are wasting your time with electrical stuff.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Excellent ideas.much easier than pushing it.plugs out,5th gear,centerstand clutch out,turn rear wheel.i can do that no matter the weather. Thank you both

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Will a valkyrie motor work in this bike

41 - 60 of 80 Posts