Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Reason i asked is twofold. Valk engines are cheaper.and interstate with no reverse are not easy to find.if i put a wing motor with reverse would it work,just wouldnt have working reverse? I put bike on centerstand.put engine in neutral.i took small center cover off timming cover.took socket and breaker bar and tried rotating COUNTERclockwise as book said.i was prepared for a big resistance.it was easy to turn over.twice more i crossed the posts of the solenoid with key on and key off.using something that wouldnt melt.the starter engages.the motor turned a small portion of a revolution.the socket extension was trying to melt so i quit.

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts
Reason i asked is twofold. Valk engines are cheaper.and interstate with no reverse are not easy to find.if i put a wing motor with reverse would it work,just wouldnt have working reverse? I put bike on centerstand.put engine in neutral.i took small center cover off timming cover.took socket and breaker bar and tried rotating COUNTERclockwise as book said.i was prepared for a big resistance.it was easy to turn over.twice more i crossed the posts of the solenoid with key on and key off.using something that wouldnt melt.the starter engages.the motor turned a small portion of a revolution.the socket extension was trying to melt so i quit.
One with reverse will work. Wouldn't be hard to make the reverse work either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So the starter turned the engine slow. Is your battery fully charged? Could you turn the engine over 2 full turns by hand?

Do you have a volt meter?

David

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So the starter turned the engine slow. Is your battery fully charged? Could you turn the engine over 2 full turns by hand?

Do you have a volt meter?

David
My battery is hot.ive done something wrong.no i didnt try 2 revolutions.it wasnt locked up so i quit turning.with a test light grounded to my frame i can touch one post on the solenoid and the light comes on.with no key on.it might have been B side.i was thinking no post on solenoid should be hot if key is off.im out in church so cant text more.i will try turning motor over more.what does more turn indicate?

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts
My battery is hot.ive done something wrong.no i didnt try 2 revolutions.it wasnt locked up so i quit turning.with a test light grounded to my frame i can touch one post on the solenoid and the light comes on.with no key on.it might have been B side.i was thinking no post on solenoid should be hot if key is off.im out in church so cant text more.i will try turning motor over more.what does more turn indicate?
If you will notice the B post is connected directly to the battery+, of course it is hot with the key off or on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have a problem with the motor, it can be found with 2 complete revolutions. This is what it takes to run all cylinders through the compression stroke. You said it turned a little. Could be the motor, or it could be a low battery. Or it could be the starter. By turning 2 revolutions you rule out the engine

david

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
If the engine is hydrolocked you will not be able to know it unless you take out the spark plugs like John mentioned earlier. Did you do that? If not take out the plugs and try again. :unsure:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Great answers thank you all so much.ive learned a lot here.i have a different kind of mechanical background .i am 71..when i was in my 20s i rebuilt a slant 6 dodge,mustang 289,chevy 327 and 350.rings,rodbearings,mains etc.on an 80 suzuki gs 1000 i replaced a head gasket,cylinder base gasket and all the assorted seals and orings.that engine design is common in all the ujms.but when it comes to wiring i am inept.i totally burned up a harness on a gs850 by hooking things up wrong.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Ta da! I got it running.

i rode it around the block. I have to use a socket extension bar to the solenoid and its a new ebay replacement solenoid.

The start button gets a click.
before all this it would take 5 or 6 pokes on the button sometimes before the bike would start. so maybe it was never the solenoid.

i am afraid to disassemble the right side handlebar switch housing and look for dirty contacts, but it starts runs and rides now.

here is what i did.
1. Rotated the engine around a few times.
2. Looked at gas gauge.1/4 full. I could see gas in the tank.but i bought more and fillled it till gauge was near full.
3. I used choke on, thick ratchet extension to solenoid posts and it fired right up.

Ta da! So i still cant push start button and get more than a single click, so maybe the new solenoid or dirty start contacts, dont know.

but its running now.
If it was just out of gas i wouldnt still have the starting issue, but its so good to see my big blue beast running.

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts
If the solenoid (and not other relays) is clicking off the start button then obviously there is nothing wrong with the button.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
In chapter 9 it details how to check the solenoid.much like what you guys told me.i dont understand infinity,continuity etc.i found my multitester.not sure what scale to use. I know there are 2 posts.solenoid has m and b.b to pos battery post,m to post from starter.the 2 prongs up front each have a wire on them.side by side.prong behind them has a larger gauge red wire.i dont see how it could be connected wrong.so i am guessing when i test the solenoid it will fail.my bike runs as smooth as it did in 1992.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,307 Posts
are you typing from a cellphone?
you are not using spaces between sentences, nor are you using a Return Key to kick down and leave blank lines between what should be a new paragraph........ and the whole entire post is one long run on sentence...

I use a cellphone and my posts from it do NOT look like what you are doing...

from the readers view point, it is very difficult to understand what you are saying.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,307 Posts
Okay,

I am now using my cell phone.

Note the difference in our posts.

It is not hard to do.

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts
In chapter 9 it details how to check the solenoid.much like what you guys told me.i dont understand infinity,continuity etc.i found my multitester.not sure what scale to use. I know there are 2 posts.solenoid has m and b.b to pos battery post,m to post from starter.the 2 prongs up front each have a wire on them.side by side.prong behind them has a larger gauge red wire.i dont see how it could be connected wrong.so i am guessing when i test the solenoid it will fail.my bike runs as smooth as it did in 1992.
First set you meter to DC volts, probably a V with ---, 20 volt scale. Connect the black to the battery negative, connect the red to the yellow/red wire, turn the switch on and push the start button, it should read about 12v. If so the start button is working. Then connect the red to the brown/red wire and repeat the process, it should show near 0 volts. If it shows 12v the ground circuit is bad, try pulling in the clutch, meanwhile notice if the solenoid clicks. If it does connect the red to the M post, push the button, it should read about 12v, if all else is good and you get 0 volts there the solenoid is bad.
Report results.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
First set you meter to DC volts, probably a V with ---, 20 volt scale. Connect the black to the battery negative, connect the red to the yellow/red wire, turn the switch on and push the start button, it should read about 12v. If so the start button is working. Then connect the red to the brown/red wire and repeat the process, it should show near 0 volts. If it shows 12v the ground circuit is bad, try pulling in the clutch, meanwhile notice if the solenoid clicks. If it does connect the red to the M post, push the button, it should read about 12v, if all else is good and you get 0 volts there the solenoid is bad.
Report results.
Thank you kind sir.i will do that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Okay,

I am now using my cell phone.

Note the difference in our posts.

It is not hard to do.
I checked my post.there is a period every 3 to 7 words. Then a new sentence. Not one long sentence. I did not know i was in english class.

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts
I checked my post.there is a period every 3 to 7 words. Then a new sentence. Not one long sentence. I did not know i was in english class.
I think the lack of capital letters makes it look like that. PITA on a cell phone.

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
Using good clear sentence structure (capitol letters, periods etc.) makes it easier to read and decipher the information.

Sometimes when messages are difficult to read, I don't even read or respond....!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts