Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The starter will crank the engine fine and just after the engine starts I hear the starter spin for a second and then a click when the starter stops spinning. It is more than a click but not a clunk. Bike has 81,000 miles and I am original owner. I cleaned the starter switch with electrical contact cleaner but to no avail. Thanks in advance.I am sure there is subject matter somehere on this site but my computer skills are not that great.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

I remember a guy from NH with a 1997 GL1500 and that always gave a loud click on startup. Eventually he found out it was one of the spark plug caps going bad.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

At 81000 your starter should still be ok ., check for a sticking start solenoid or sticking start switch.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks. I had a tech look at the bike today and he says that the Starter Relay Switch B is bad and needs replacing. Should the relay B have a clicking noise a couple seconds after the bike starts?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

"B" should disengage as you release the starter switch.

Here's a look at the 2-lug starter system that you've got on your '88:

[align=center]
[/align]

As you can see the +12v for "B" is entirely controlled by the "A" starter relay, which is , in turn, controlled by the start button in the throttle-side grip-switches (shown as #11 in this diagram). Since the two starter relays are "dependant" and if you can confirm that the "B" relay is releasing late and the "A" relay is releasing along with the start button, then I would concurr that the "B" relay is faulty (welded contacts) and should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yes the starter relay (just to the rear of the battery - Honda part #35850-MN5-000) does not release immediately after releasing the starter button. Thanks for your input. As usual Mother Hondathinks it is gold. $94.00 from the dealer in Daytona Beach. Any ideas of a lesser price??

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I found it for $61.00 at Honda Parts House and believe it or not the local dealer will match it.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.