Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a local shop replace the original starter on my 83 Aspencade one year ago at 40k miles. It ran better and started quicker than it ever has after the replacement. After garaging the bike from a short ride, the starter would not turn, and the solenoid would only click.

Battery is only two months old, so I had it checked. It was fine but needed a small recharge. Also checked the solenoid and all wires and connections. Could find no shorts, loose connections or bad grounds and battery was delivering 12 volts to starter positive. 30 amp dogbone fuse is solid.

After pondering this, I connected a jumper cable direct from battery to starter positive for a brief second only. I heard starter try to turn. After this, starter turned with normal starter button start and bike started. But, I noticed starter was beginning to overheat (with a little smoke from starter area) as bike heated. Shut it down.

What was causing starter to jam? Any ideas? Did I toast it? I've never taken a starter out. Probably could follow instructions I found in the forum, but I'm not sure what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Where did the replacement starter come from?

It's an easy job to re and re the starter. There are a couple of cautions and plenty of instructions on this site and others. Let us know if you can't find any. (I once had one stolen in less than 2 minutes with no damage).

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

It probably had a cylinder flooded from a leaking carb float valve and was hydrolocked and putting the extra power to it forced it to turn over, hopefully without bending a rod.
The only way the starter could have continued to get hot after the engine started is if the solenoid stuck and you should have heard a strange noise form the starter if that was the case.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for everyone's input. The shop supplied the starter and the shop has a good reputation. I don't know what they put in, but it worked perfectly and with ease for one year.

If the cylinder had flooded, I was able to start the bike and it ran fine until I noticed the overheating (smoke) starter.

I think from everyone's comments it may make sense to rebuild the solenoid first. It's probably time to do that due to age, but the bike has low miles. I've reviewed the link and instructions. Seems simple. Then if there is still a problem I can isolate it to the starter itself.

Gee, people steal starters?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You can buy replacement solenoid on eBay for $15..not stock better..blade fuse.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

sounds like what mine dida 82 1100 was doing i had to pull engine and put a starter clutch and chain in it...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

krazy al wrote:
sounds like what mine dida 82 1100 was doing i had to pull engine and put a starter clutch and chain in it...
i was kinda thinking the same thing . flattened rollers in the sprag clutch and locked up.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

My first thoughts as I read this where hydo lock. But as you say you started it with a jump from car battery did not think this would work on hydolock or be a good thing to try.
Possibly there was a time laps between trying to start it and them getting the boost hooked up and some of the fuel leaked past the rings.
You may have welded the solinod contacts shut by giving it the extra juice but I dought it. I'm thinking the heat and smoke where caused by jumping it and just started to come out after it ran a bit.
How does it work now that the bikehas cooled. Goldwing startes can get hot real quickly.
wilf

Always turn your petcock off when parked . what where the symtoms that you had when you had tiy first started replaced

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if hydrolock is not an issue...prob chinees starter guts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I am finishing up changing starter now, had a starter from parts engine, but i opened it up and cleaned it up, as brushes wear graphite dust has no where to go and piles up in rear cover, i would check that, before u burn up the starter,u had someone work on it no telling what they put in there. U can find a link here on starer refresh

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I doubt it's a hydro-lock issue. Sounds like a bad ground connection in the starter. There is a mod for providing a better ground internally on the starter.

Sounds electrical in nature, as usual...

Edit: ...many other starter solenoids from the same era (Honda, and Jap-bikes in general) are a direct swap.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi Folks,
I've been out of touch reporting on my starter problem. I have not had the time to work on it. I'm giving myself a Christmas present and intend to get my bike running around the new year. I will start with the simple suggestions everyone has been kind enough to leave. Hope to be reporting more soon. Thanks to everyone and Happy Holidays to all.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I hope you shut the fuel off and drained the carbs. Did you pull the plugs and try running the starter? Did gas come out the plug holes?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OK, I spent some time on this problem and for the benefit of others this is what I did:
First - Removed/replaced solenoid after cleaning it externally and the connections to battery and starter. Solenoid worked well before and was sealed and very clean, so I didn't think it needed a rebuild. Dogbone fuse is still solid.

Second - Removed/replaced ground wire that runs from battery to frame. It cleaned up well with a wire brush. I just wanted to make sure I had a solid ground on the bike.

Third - Charged battery (off the bike) and reinstalled with new connections.

Bike started immediately, but I noticed fuel level was lower than when I last started it and as it heated I saw the tell tale white smoke of hydro-lock. It has been well over a month since the original problem of the starter not turning over. I am conscious of turning the gas off but I think problem started because the valve was left open (my bad). Sitting over one month the gas in the cylinder must have cleared. Smoke cleaned up after the bike heated. I think I'll change the oil and then go for a good ride. Here's the lesson: ALWAYS TURN THE GAS OFF AFTER A RIDE. My thanks to everyone.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Was the bike left on the side stand or center stand? If it was the side stand and the white smoke came from the left side, I would bet it was oil that leaked into a cylinder from the valve train.

Very common on these bikes and not really anything to worry about. The valve seals are old and get brittle, allowing a little oil to seep past them.

If it was on the center stand, check the oil level. If gas was leaking down it will show over full. If it is, change it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hello AZWinger,
Good guess, it was on the side stand and the white smoke was mostly from the left side. Oil level is right on, but it's due for an oil & filter change. Enjoying Florida 80 degree weather, so now is the time, before cold fronts move in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.