Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys just ran across your great siteand need some help re astarter problem maybe you can help. just hooked up 2 running lights "which I dont think is the problem but could be" but right before that I tried to start the bike the starter sounded like it wassnt engaging, tried again and it started. well this went on for a few trys then all of a sudden it wouldnt start at all cause thier was not enuff juice, butstarted if I jumped it,Ill then get a battery reading of 12V, tried to start it after this happened and the starter kicks in then the battery goes dead

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the charging system on these "olde-wings" isn't all that great, so probably you have a combination of an older failing battery, and the lights also drawing off what you need, especially if you are just puttin about

be sure to put you general location in, and welcome to our friendly site

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

First of all welcome to the site, you are certainly in the best place for answers and I am sure many more experienced than me will soon be along.

In reply to your question you may be aware that the 1200 Stator output is marginal at best, have you checked the stator output and the three yellow stator wires. If you do a search for "yellow stator wires" or similar you should get enough reading to keep you out of mischief for a few hours.

Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running, and at about 3000rpm, should go up to 13 or 14 volts.

For sure there will be plenty more advice along soon.
Peter

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the charging system on these "olde-wings" isn't all that great, so probably you have a combination of an older failing battery, and the lights also drawing off what you need, especially if you are just puttin about

be sure to put you general location in, and welcome to our friendly site
thanks, I unhooked the new lights and it still wont start, but will start on a jump

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Your battery shoudl be putting out 10v's under load(while starting) if not your battery is bad or under charged.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

gdwales wrote:
First of all welcome to the site, you are certainly in the best place for answers and I am sure many more experienced than me will soon be along.

In reply to your question you may be aware that the 1200 Stator output is marginal at best, have you checked the stator output and the three yellow stator wires. If you do a search for "yellow stator wires" or similar you should get enough reading to keep you out of mischief for a few hours.

Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running, and at about 3000rpm, should go up to 13 or 14 volts.

For sure there will be plenty more advice along soon.
Peter
just had a new good stator put in this summer

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have found that batteries usually don't last well.... this really is operator error.... the error being we don't ride our bikes enough!:cooldevil: when left sitting they should be a one of those fancy-shamsy trickle chargers that have a maintenance setting

where y'all from?

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

well fellas the damdest thing just happened, the bike started on its own w/o a jump and continues to start. something else is Ive had the new lights unhooked for the last hr.is thatsuspect or what????????

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a marginal battery. When lights were connected are they on a seperate switch or do they come on as soon as ignition is switched on?. Could be they are robbing the battery of enough to stop it starting.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

so here are some places to look.... the doggone dogbone fuse, can look good and be bad..... the ignition switch, making poor contact and needing to be replaced... poor connections (especially the major grounding connections) poor connections on the battery itself

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

hey! this is crusty, have had a click click problem with the starter for some time, have finally decided its the starter key switch cause if i turn it too far the lights go out, back a little click, little more and crank,,,, how hard is it to change the switch?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.