Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, I'm a new member here. I have a GL1100 I that I have had for 4 yrs now. I am having a problem with my starter. It started off just turning over slow like the battery was getting weak one time then would be fine the next couple. I replaced the battery and still have the same problem. I then changed the starter. Worked good for awhile then started doing the same thing again. Now it doesn't want to start at all. Push the starter button and it just drags down headlight and clicks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,166 Posts
imported post

Don't know anything about the 1100s, but someone will be along in a few minutes.

Welcome to our forum. A lot of great folks here.

Would you mind going over to the New Members forum and making an introduction there?

Come back often, and looking for more posts from you. :waving:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Hi, i have had the same kind of problem but it wsnt on a Goldwing..

After a lot of chasing about i found it to be the Earth lead from the starter, it all looked good but a friend suggested i bypassed it to try.

This was done and everything was good. A new earth was made and i never had the problem again...

Hope your problem will be as easy to solve..

Good Luck

Sean...

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

You might want to check the switches in the handle bar assembly you headlight shoul be going completely off when you start the bike there are actually two switches tied in to the start button one normally open that closes when you push it to engage the starter, the other is normally closed that opens and turns the head ligh off while cranking the starter. If this isn't happening it might be putting to much of a load on the battery. I would say this is the place to start looking.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Justin,

There are, I believe, some notoriously bad starters out there. I replaced my original starter with one that only lasted me about six months. Someone here from the site put me onto Stocker Starters, they have either new or rebuilt, and they back their product . . . great service.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Welcome two_n_ia to this great site,lots of information here.I had same kind of problem
and after cleaning the cable ends witch cured the problem for a while so i stripped the case
off the ground wire and it was all corroded with some strands broken.I bought some automotive battery cable and some new ends made new cables and now it starts real good.
Cables are larger than stock but cable/ ends /and a few odds and ends was 37.00 dollars,don"t know how much stock cables are but i am happy with the price.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I'm with 2tone on this. Alot of these old wings have the original cables on then that corrode internally. If you see some green stuff, where there should be copper, that 25 year old cable is probably the culprit. Broken strands and corrosion will add resistance to the starting circuit and not allow the current you need to turn the stater thru.,,

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Good advise given here. You must have very clean connections. Your battery must be pumped up, not weak from sitting or weak in general.

Any chineese starter will only last a short while. Stocker starters in California are good quality!

You might have a bad brush in your new starter. If you still have your old one, but a brush kit for it from stockers!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

My Starter was giving me greif, it was laboring andwhen justa little warm, the solinoid would just click. It would start after a few attempts but was getting worse.

My brother in law is a mechanic as well and rode wings for years. He suggested taking the starter out and gently holding it in a vise with the nose down, then taking the end cover off and inspecting. He informed me the the ground circuit brush lead is attached to the brush holder plate, and this plate is just a friction fit between the starter body and end cap. corrsion builds up here at this pointand causes high resistance in the ground circuit.

The simple fix is installing a "L" shaped bracket made of a small peice of scrap metal between the body and the brush plate. There is a screw in the body that we attached the bracket to the body and drilled a small hole through the brush plate into the bracket and attached the brush plate to the bracket with a sheet metal screw. reassembled the starter and reinstalled it. The engine never cranked so fast, and starts so easy!

Should have taken photos to post. Hope this helps, Shimmy
:waving:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

If you have a good ground from the battery ( check with meter ) then check & replace the postive cable between the battery & solenoid.

This cable can look good and still show a voltage drop over it. I know mine caused me a fair amount of grief. I would always do this before I went & got another starter.

I'm pretty sure 90 % of the trouble with starters etc in these bikes is related to old batteries ( any of the water filled ones anything after 2 yrs is borrowed time ) and the wiring. These bikes are no spring chickens & the wiring is going to corrode both outside & inside the harness.

Any electrical connector you can pull apart put a little dielectric grease on & reconnect. Save you a lot of hardache and cut down on corrosion problems.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Really sounds like you have a starter problem. Below is a link to Stockers's Starters Inc. which is located in El Cajon, CA. I was having the same problem back in Jan '08 and eventually the starter failed and this was with only 20,800 original miles on my '83 Interstate. I purchased a rebuilt OEM Mitsuba starter from Stocker's and have had no problems since. Below is a link to Stocker's website.

http://www.stockers.com/PShondastreet.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.